Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2022, 07:57 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
I did a wet bathroom with an rv flush toilet. all waste goes to the tank and then the dump station.

you'll use the toilet a hundred times compared to the shower, maybe a 1000 times. for a big guy like me, the slider idea would break before my 2nd or 3rd shower.

i like and tried the side hall ways in some of my early designs, but the darn wheels wells and short side roof height make it hard to navigate. 6'2" in the middle, 5'8" on the side, the side hall is no go without a roof raise.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0705 (3).JPG  

Old 08-26-2022, 08:43 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Off-Center Wall

The long wheelbase makes a huge difference. Our rear wheel humps are centered under window #13. (Flat-floor shuttles have even more options.)

The washroom wall is off-centered at about 9". Split 54"/36"

No flooring installed, the high & low heights of the hall are 6'4" & 6', respectively. The hall's center is about 6'2"

Our goal is an all-in-one washroom w/ activity-sized shower & nozzle head at the peak. As well as framing in working space for the plumbing, AC & DC panels. The rest of the layout may change.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:44 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloc View Post
What I don't get with a lot of designs - insisting on keeping the walkway where the original walkway between the seats was. It's almost like we're conditioned to see a bus as only coming with a center aisle. If the aisle were moved to the side, then there's quite a bit more room available for a bathroom, with storage inside. This also lends itself well to a kitchen design with the much larger wall to use, as well as a bedroom wall.
From what I've seen, very few skooliers go with a center aisle layout - it's not exactly popular. My bus is a center aisle layout because:
  1. Without a roof raise, only the center is tall enough for me to walk without banging my head on the ceiling.
  2. It allows me to have a continuous length of 24' in my living space without obscuring any of the windows and without having to step over the wheel wells. This makes the interior seem roomier than it would otherwise.
  3. It would have been impossible for me to drop the floor in my kitchen anywhere but in the center.

My bus is not a center aisle layout because I'm "conditioned to see a bus as only coming with a center aisle". Sometimes people do things differently because they have different goals and design considerations and not because of some character flaw.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:28 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e 7.6L 245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
Tetris is the perfect term.

My Shuttle Bus bathroom is bout 40 wide x 30 deep and has a composting toilet that slides out.
Jimmy and Natalie on youtube did something similar in their green bus. I think the compartment the toilet slid into went under the bed.

Looks like a well engineered solution, Rucker!
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 01:53 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e 7.6L 245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Quote:
What I don't get with a lot of designs - insisting on keeping the walkway where the original walkway between the seats was. It's almost like we're conditioned to see a bus as only coming with a center aisle. If the aisle were moved to the side, then there's quite a bit more room available for a bathroom, with storage inside. This also lends itself well to a kitchen design with the much larger wall to use, as well as a bedroom wall.
A lot of oem rv's and travel trailers are designed with the center aisle design too. I think that plays into the popularity of the skoolie floor plans some.

Same as others have said, the center is the high point for ceiling height. My floor plan is center aisle as I'm not doing a roof raise. My bus is 6'4" height at center and 5'9" height at the side windows (measured with factory floor and ceiling still in). I'm 5'10" so by going center aisle that gives me more options for thicker insulation without having to duck. A side aisle design wouldn't be possible without a roof raise.

Plus, I think center aisle can maximize functional space versus open space. A walkway kitchen can have more cabinet and counter space versus an L-shape or U-shape. Down side is less walking room if you have multiple cooks. As a bachelor, I don't have that problem.
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 06:33 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
It looks very well crafted, and is a very efficient use of space, but looking at it with the eye of a 6 foot 4 man it also looks very difficult to use.

I'm 6'1" and we wanted a bus tall enough to not have to do a roof raise. That puts us down the center. The floor came out shortly after demo started so that I could insulate while losing as little vertical space as possible.
I may have to stoop slightly in the shower but to be able to walk from the front to the bedroom door without stooping or bashing my head is worth it and I'll get shorter as time goes on.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 05:58 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Caterpillar 3126B
We wanted to keep our toilet in its own little room, but we built our shower with a 24x34 shower pan. Theres a bench seat that goes over a wheel well making the shower 36x34. A drawer slides out into the hallway from underneath the bench for towels and bath storage.
CoffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 07:04 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Hmmm, I don't know, the bathroom is one area we're relatively unwilling to sacrifice much, at all. We're dedicating a relatively large amount of space to it (by RV standards). Large like a full size corner shower (48x48 instead of a slim 42x42). Anyway, 32 sq ft for the bathroom. Not a large one by home standards but not teeny-tiny like an RV where you bump the walls whilst turning around, either. And yes, composting toilet - no desire to mess with black water. As for space for guests? Nope, not having any of them, either!
jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 12:52 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Caterpillar 3126B
I was asked to share a photo of our shower. Im traveling right now so the only photo I can share is a pic during our build. Here it is!
Attached Thumbnails
03195D89-BEA4-4B7B-86FD-0ADF5A4E15FD.jpeg  
CoffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 05:01 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeech View Post
And yes, composting toilet - no desire to mess with black water. As for space for guests? Nope, not having any of them, either!

LOL different people different thoughts.
We're going black water as we simply don't want to deal with a nasty "composting" toilet and bags of poo.
Then again, were experienced 5th wheelers and are used to dumping a black tank without any issues and without getting anywhere near as close to the nasties as a "composting" toilet requires.

Connect drain hose
Drain black tank
Begin filling black with non potable hose from dump site
Drain grey tank
Drain black tank second time while filling grey with non potable hose
Drain grey tank
Disconnect
Slide hose into bumper tube
DONE

Everything is sealed until the rinsed (with grey tank) hose is disconnected
We keep a box of disposable gloves in the RV but they're not needed.

Now with a "composting" toilet.... yeah gotta deal with containers of piss and bags of poo while being real close to the nasties. Dump that piss in the public toilet and it is going to splash..... or drop it....or forget to dump it and it over flows.

Eeeewwwww

YMMV
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 08-28-2022, 11:34 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Hamskoolie touched upon something that's overlooked by most RV designs and bus conversions: it makes me very nervous to see human waste even remotely near a food preparation area or a potable water fill area. It always amazes me that RVs, even expensive full-size ones with all the bells and whistles, are built with their poo tank's dump valve(s) in the same general area as their fresh-water fill. Haven't the RV designers heard of cross-contamination? Or do they simply not care - they're not the ones to actually use their dismal products most of the time. Coming from a healthcare facility background I'm acutely aware of the results of fecal contamination in food or water, but that seems to be unimportant in the RV world. I've separated my fresh water fills by 20 feet of space from where I dump the poo and grey tanks: it really isn't that hard to design and make it that way. And that's why I have separate poo and grey tanks: draining a kitchen sink or hand basin into the same tank as excrement is festering in seems really yuk to me.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:50 AM   #32
Bus Crazy

Fact or Future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
LOL different people different thoughts.
We're going black water as we simply don't want to deal with a nasty "composting" toilet and bags of poo.
Then again, were experienced 5th wheelers and are used to dumping a black tank without any issues and without getting anywhere near as close to the nasties as a "composting" toilet requires.

Connect drain hose
Drain black tank
Begin filling black with non potable hose from dump site
Drain grey tank
Drain black tank second time while filling grey with non potable hose
Drain grey tank
Disconnect
Slide hose into bumper tube
DONE

Everything is sealed until the rinsed (with grey tank) hose is disconnected
We keep a box of disposable gloves in the RV but they're not needed.

Now with a "composting" toilet.... yeah gotta deal with containers of piss and bags of poo while being real close to the nasties. Dump that piss in the public toilet and it is going to splash..... or drop it....or forget to dump it and it over flows.

Eeeewwwww

YMMV
----------------------

(Yawn)...We have a factory built RV too.

Do you have any photos of your skoolie's commode? How long did it take to build it, as described? Sure sounds like an upgrade from our skoolie worksite commode.

We built this little booger before buying a bus. Helps us separate liquids from solids. No plastic bags or dumping. Real compost, without leaving a trace.

We didnt know if all of the little ladies in the family would approve. So we each tested it out in a safe space.

I'm honored to report that none of our gals are grossed out. Sorry 'bout your gag reflex, Ham. Hopefully, "The Few & The Proud" have added some Girl Scouts to their ranks.
Old 08-29-2022, 11:04 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: t444e
Rated Cap: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeech View Post
Hmmm, I don't know, the bathroom is one area we're relatively unwilling to sacrifice much, at all. We're dedicating a relatively large amount of space to it (by RV standards). Large like a full size corner shower (48x48 instead of a slim 42x42). Anyway, 32 sq ft for the bathroom. Not a large one by home standards but not teeny-tiny like an RV where you bump the walls whilst turning around, either. And yes, composting toilet - no desire to mess with black water. As for space for guests? Nope, not having any of them, either!
Lol. We'd get along great. You in your bus, us in ours.
The space between them is where guests go.
Old 08-29-2022, 11:28 AM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Very nice Rucker, have to read you built for that.
We implemented out version with lowered stainless shower pan in the floor and then a slide out toilet / litterbox style with urine diverter. Had to be small for the Econoline bus. You can find in Elf bus e350 Corbeil starting at post 249.

Good luck Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:51 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Elf Bus E350 Corbeil

Short-cut to Johan's commode build:
www.skoolie.net/elf-bus-e350-corbeil-post #249(lots of photos)

**I hope to see more of Rucker's cassette toilet, too. If I could slide our box into the adjacent closet, the shower would become more accessable to disabled. (Possibly me)
Old 08-29-2022, 05:12 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
----------------------
(Yawn)...We have a factory built RV too.
Congrats though the "Yawn" kind of sets a negative tone right off the bat. Not sure why.

Quote:
Do you have any photos of your skoolie's commode?
No, "we're going with" usually indicates the plan, not that something is complete.

Quote:
How long did it take to build it, as described
We have selected the type and probable model after hashing through all the possibilities, including so called "composting" toilets, incinerators, automatic baggers, macerators, and standard RV flush types."composting" toilets were found to not actually compost and to our standards be gross as well as questionable for sanitation.
Incinerators were determined to take too long to cycle after use, take more energy (electric or propane) than we were willing to use for that function (10kW a day for an electric under our use needs).
Automatic baggers were never really considered due to their dependence on those special twisty bags you have to buy from the manuf.
Macerating models were at the top of the list until further research revealed the level of water consumption needed as well as the need to carry a second sanitation method in the even that the macerator system failed.
And so we're left with the tried and true, low energy use, low water consumption, gravity drop toilet for which any larger RV place should have parts and whole units.

Quote:
Sorry 'bout your gag reflex, Ham. Hopefully, "The Few & The Proud" have added some Girl Scouts to their ranks.
REALLY?

I opened MY post with "LOL different people different thoughts." and I ended it with "YMMV" which if you don't know stands for "Your Mileage May Vary".

So I'm going to assume an attempt to be humorous or inter-service rivalry which lost something in the textual realm.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:15 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Lol. Hamskoolie.
Just friendly banter.

I'm still open to using something different/better. Your ideas are great. I'm looking forward to copying your work, or someone's. I dig the pictures.
Old 08-29-2022, 07:04 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Thanks DeMac for the nice PM and setting up the link.
It might not be completely visible but the toilet pot slides away under the seat. It is already pretty crowded there with the heater / fan and then also the shower water heater exchanger and shower pump. But it fits. Not very convenient but does the job when it is required.
Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:48 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Lol. Hamskoolie.
Just friendly banter.

I'm still open to using something different/better. Your ideas are great. I'm looking forward to copying your work, or someone's. I dig the pictures.

I thought it must be and just didn't have the tone and inflection to communicate additional info besides the words themselves.
And while the Girl Scouts might be helpful to the Air Farce, the Marines have come up with their own support group. They're called the "Young Marines"....... think Boy Scouts with attitude.
We probably could have subcontracted the Girl Scouts considering how soft our military has gotten in the 23 years since I retired but being the Men's Department of the Navy we decided the Young Marines were a better fit.
Old 08-30-2022, 11:14 AM   #40
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Short-cut to Johan's commode build:
www.skoolie.net/elf-bus-e350-corbeil-post #249(lots of photos)

**I hope to see more of Rucker's cassette toilet, too. If I could slide our box into the adjacent closet, the shower would become more accessable to disabled. (Possibly me)
I'm working in the back of the bus at the present (which means all the bus materials are piled in the shower area). I'll get pictures this weekend and post with more details.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote