Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2022, 05:25 PM   #1

Bathroom question

Since maximizing space is always the objective, I'm looking at it like Tetris.

Would it be possible to have a DIY composting toilet (basically a self-contained box with a lid) on slide out tracks to occupy the same space as a shower? Slide it out when you want to shower. Put it back when you're done.

I'm thinking an extra large, maybe sunken shower pan to have room for the extra hardware and wooden slats. And one of those hinged shower rods that expands as needed and folds back in when not in use.

Or am I dreaming? What do you all think?
Thanks in advance!

SFGrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:11 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Welcome

Welcome to the Insane Asylum SFGrrrl. What kind of bus do you have?
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:37 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
I don't see why you couldn't do this I've seen it done in van builds. You'd have to be carefull so that any vent ducting wouldn't get kinked when sliding the toilet back and forth.

The other option would be water proofing your toilet and having it stay in the shower area which would free up the space it would slide into for something else.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:42 PM   #4

No bus yet. I'm 58 and dreaming of retirement.
Old 08-22-2022, 05:36 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Some people have done "wet" bathrooms where the toilet is basically just sitting in the shower stall and you sort of stand over it while showering; it seems like this would sort of suck. A slide-out toilet would avoid this but it might be difficult to do and keep the shower pan watertight.

I've played around with various ideas of having things (like a toilet, washing machine etc.) on platforms anchored to a pole in one of the outer corners of the shower stall. They would normally sit inside the stall but could be rotated out of the stall when you need to take a shower. The problem is that the pole and the platforms would need to be extremely strong since they'd only be supported on one corner.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:20 PM   #6

I can also make a waterproof cover. I may be needing a shower stool by then.

Thanks, folks!!
Old 08-23-2022, 05:32 AM   #7
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas Built Freightliner. Allison 2000 tranny
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65 (dognose)
Engine: Mercedes MBE 906 six cylinder diesel
Rated Cap: 35 feet long
The toilet I built calls for the user to tie up and dispose of the bag every time you poop in it. No warehousing poop for extended periods, so no exhaust fan needed. No slide out tracks either. Just pick up the toilet and put it in the hall when you want to have a shower. I’ve documented it's construction at theskoolielife.com Episode 17: Design and Build a diy Composting Toilet. (The final design of the urine diverted is awaiting a 3D printer arriving in November. )
David from Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 10:17 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
We considered something similar. Also considered a wet setup like musigenesis spoke of. In the end we decided that dealing with those compromises over the long haul would get really tiring (especially as we continue to age, where eventually they'd become limiting or even dangerous). With limited space, we decided to prioritize things that can't easily be done outside. So we're building a bathroom with separate toilet and shower. It will still be small (one window for each), but no hassle. What we gave up was seating for guests, but I don't really get the guest thing anyway. Outside is for guests (& 90% of our time too).

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 10:19 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGrrrl View Post

Would it be possible to have a DIY composting toilet (basically a self-contained box with a lid) on slide out tracks to occupy the same space as a shower? Slide it out when you want to shower. Put it back when you're done.

I'm thinking an extra large, maybe sunken shower pan to have room for the extra hardware and wooden slats. And one of those hinged shower rods that expands as needed and folds back in when not in use.

Thanks in advance!
Tetris is the perfect term.

My Shuttle Bus bathroom is bout 40 wide x 30 deep and has a composting toilet that slides out.

Open/Extended:

Closed/Retracted:

The drawer slides are full extension 450 lbs capacity. I made the box ('cassette') from 3/4" veneer plywood (higher quality than sheathing). When not in use it retracts into a sealed enclosure under the kitchen counter.

I also have an exhaust fan, a standard computer cooling fan on a dimmer switch that extracts the air from the sealed enclosure into the vent stack.

You can see the enclosure fits pretty snugly under the kitchen sink. There's just enough room for a kitchen drawer over it, to the right of the sink.

Here's a more recent shot showing the cassette, instant water heater, and bathroom sink:

So yes, you can tetris it.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 10:29 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
That's really nice, Rucker.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 10:54 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Very cool, Rucker. Nice use of space.
Old 08-23-2022, 01:51 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
hey rucker.
looking good.
dont forget the tailpiece under the sink?
if you are having a hard time finding the drain cup then go to your commercial kitchen/plumbing supply and ask for a drain basket for a bar sink.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 10:29 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGrrrl View Post

Thanks in advance!
The way I look at the sliding toilet question is that you have now created a toilet system that needs twice as much room and added complexity. What about building the toilet inside the shower (appropriately designed to not allow shower water into it) and use is as a "bench" or step. Ladies appreciate a place to step up on when shaving legs and such plus if there's ever someone using the bus with an injury having a place to sit is already there.
Of course if your shower is a tiny little 32x32 that won't work.
And if won't work with a flush toilet due to the plumbing.

Another space saving option with the shower is to not just use a rod and curtain but instead build a well supported door with closet/cabinet built in. When the shower isn't in use the door is closed and the closet/cabinet is occupying the space inside the shower. When the shower is in use, the door opens and a rod/curtain or roll out door keeps the water inside.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 11:21 PM   #14

@Rucker: Love it!! Just what I was thinking... all the water in one place.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:25 PM   #15

HamSkoolie, yeah, I said above that I may need a shower bench by the time I build my bus. I'll keep your door idea in mind. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2022, 08:52 AM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom 40'
Engine: DDECII 6V92T Allison MT647
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs of potential
Quote:
Originally Posted by David from Ontario View Post
The toilet I built calls for the user to tie up and dispose of the bag every time you poop in it. No warehousing poop for extended periods, so no exhaust fan needed. No slide out tracks either. Just pick up the toilet and put it in the hall when you want to have a shower. I’ve documented it's construction at theskoolielife.com Episode 17: Design and Build a diy Composting Toilet. (The final design of the urine diverted is awaiting a 3D printer arriving in November. )

Thanks for the link David. You've shared some very good ideas in your blog, along with both thoughtful and entertaining commentary within your videos. Win- Win!
Phantom5824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:14 PM   #17
Bus Nut

What I don't get with a lot of designs - insisting on keeping the walkway where the original walkway between the seats was. It's almost like we're conditioned to see a bus as only coming with a center aisle. If the aisle were moved to the side, then there's quite a bit more room available for a bathroom, with storage inside. This also lends itself well to a kitchen design with the much larger wall to use, as well as a bedroom wall.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:21 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Washroom(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloc View Post
What I don't get with a lot of designs - insisting on keeping the walkway where the original walkway between the seats was. It's almost like we're conditioned to see a bus as only coming with a center aisle. If the aisle were moved to the side, then there's quite a bit more room available for a bathroom, with storage inside. This also lends itself well to a kitchen design with the much larger wall to use, as well as a bedroom wall.
----------------
I absolutely agree. The hall is where my electric panel & shower valves are, similar to a home's hallway.

An 'L' shaped kitchen would work, too.

all-in-one washroom w/ side hall.

DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 11:43 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloc View Post

Those of us who are tall and didn't do a roof raise prefer the center walkway as that's the highest point. I would bang my head with a side hall once we put in the floor and ceiling. It's not by much but it is an issue. Still, if a side all is only through the area next to a bathroom then the concern is minimized.
Our plan won't be final until we get the floor in and start taping things out. About the only two areas that are sure to remain as planned are the living are in the front and the bedroom in the back. And even then there are some design issues that will remain fluid until very near the end.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 12:33 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Those of us who are tall and didn't do a roof raise prefer the center walkway as that's the highest point. I would bang my head with a side hall once we put in the floor and ceiling. It's not by much but it is an issue. Still, if a side all is only through the area next to a bathroom then the concern is minimized.
Our plan won't be final until we get the floor in and start taping things out. About the only two areas that are sure to remain as planned are the living are in the front and the bedroom in the back. And even then there are some design issues that will remain fluid until very near the end.
No worries, I was just making an observation based on Rucker's very tight Tetris can right next to the factory walkway rubber. It's almost like the rubber center walkway get ingrained into the subconcious mind as a boundary that can't be crossed or something. Not that I'm knocking Rucker's design, of course. It looks very well crafted, and is a very efficient use of space, but looking at it with the eye of a 6 foot 4 man it also looks very difficult to use.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote