Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Battery types and bank location

I use a pair of GCA style golf cart batteries at 6 volts a piece wired in series. They connect via the factory parallel cable to the alternator. I welded up a quick rack that holds them along with my single Group 24 starting battery in the factory location. It was meant to be temporary, but has turned out to be more permanent.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

I put my batteries under the seats in the living area along with the inverter. I have nine batteries under there and room for plenty more if I needed. You can see some pictures at the article I have been working on, feel free to add/change the information and add any pictures that can contribute.

I have six AGM batteries in a bank, three deep cycle lead acid (which I will not replace if they go bad), and my engine battery is an AGM battery (YellowTop Optima). I won't even mess with lead acid in any of my cars anymore, they have done too much damage and made huge messes in the past.

http://www.skoolie.net/wiki/index.php/Battery_Bank
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

I have 3 deep cycles and 3 engine batteries. I used to have a relay hooked up but on my last trip to duluth I noticed it wasn't working to charge my batterys so I hooked them up all together to charge them up. I do have my lift and inverter hooked up to the deep cycle side and that is the most of my load. I had to charge the power wheelchair using my 400 watt inverter and I was able to do it just fine over night in a iowa rest area with out running the bus engine. I do plan on putting a high amp switch in at somepoint to replace the relay. Also all my batteries are in metal boxes under the bus on my left side. Engine batteries in the bus battery box and the others are in the black box next to my water heater. I have my charger in the box next to the batteries but I can change that and add more batteries.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:42 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 351 windsor
Rated Cap: 72

I have 6 ups batteries for a total of 630 amp hours. three are located on the "back porch" and three are located behind the toilet.
Dave
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

These 105 amp hour batteries you have...are they in a group 27 size? Also, what style terminals do you have? I'm just curious what works for people and what doesn't.

Also...UPS battery has me intrigued. Are they just plain jane sealed lead acid? Age they AGM? Are they Gel? If they say just "VRLA" on them chances are they are a sealed wet battery. If they have an "A" in the part number I would venture to guess they are AGM and if they have a "G," "J," or just flat out say "gel" then they are...well...you can probably guess it.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Batteries will discharge FAR slower in when they are cold than when they are warm. The chemical reaction is slowed way down by the cold. That is why you get less oomph out of a battery when it is cold and trying to start your engine. At the same time you are also self discharging far slower. Batteries like to be cold. You may not see the FULL potential out of your deep cycles, but you shouldn't be going to a depth of discharge that deep anyway.

A fully charged lead acid battery will not freeze until -92 to -93* F. Good information to know I think.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender477
so how do the batteries hold up to the cold weather ? do they seem to discharge noticeably faster ? do you have any insulation around the batteries , i diddnt see any pics on your site .
Since my charger is in the box with the deep cycles it puts off a little heat which keeps it just a little bit warmer. Otherwise I leave the charger plugged in all winter to keep them warm. I have no insulation in there. I should take pictures of the batteries in there but it is a bit of a mess in there with wires going to the 12 volt fuse panel. The only 110 wiring in there is from the charger and the plug coming in and to the breaker box. I'd take pictures of it now but it is dark out already.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote