Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Best AC for small skoolie?

I have a 1996 G30 Blue Bird with a 12 ft body.

The previous owner had removed the rear side window and installed a standard small 5000 btu window AC in the space. His metal work and sealing of the job were very poor and any rain that came in the vents just ran down inside the bus. It was a mess.

Luckily the guy had kept the window he removed and I tore out the cabinet, AC, and reinstalled the window. My bus has two sizes of windows. All but one are 30 inches. The other one is 25 or 26 inches.

I decided I wanted the AC in the smaller window due to its location and the fact it was a smaller space. It is on the opposite side and farther forward. I also decided to have the AC hanging out the side more like you would see on a house. I built a wooden frame around it on the inside and drove short sheet metal screws through the wood to make sure it was securely in place as it drives down the road and won't fall out.

Then I noticed I was still having water leaks. One of the two major leaks is from the AC and how I have it mounted. I am thinking about totally switching things up and removing the thing and using something else.

What are my best options for having an AC in the bus? I have a portable unit (one with the hose you run out the window) that I could put in the bus only when needed and adapt it to run out the bus window. This would be easy. The thing is 11,000 btu which I feel is big time overkill. The 5,000 btu is serious overkill if you ask me. It was given to me as junk and was easily repaired and not something I purchased myself. It also takes up a lot of space which I don't like in such a small area and I plan to run off a 1600/2000W generator so is going to be a larger load.

I am open to suggestions. I don't want to spend a ton of money on this but want to do it right. I also took out the entire floor, cleaned up all the rust, used rusty metal primer, and coated this all in enamel tractor paint. Right now the build is at a standstill until I get the leaks resolved.

I have debated just removing the AC and figuring this out later but also want to do it how it should be from the very start so I don't have to modify my build later. I like the idea of having the AC in the window as it is now and have thought about buying or building a metal awning to keep the water off it. This setup takes up very little space inside the bus so I was hoping it would work.

There are also the rooftop RV units which I guess is a possibility. The smallest one out there is probably plenty large. Of course the ductless mini splits are the Cadillac and are variable in speed so only run as hard as needed. Of course this will cost and then there is the outside unit to have to mount somewhere outside on the bus.

I want to keep this as simple as I can. Should I put an awning over the AC unit as I have it mounted where the window used to be or take that out?

Remember I am new to this so sorry if I ask dumb questions.

Thanks,

Conor

cwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Leyland
Chassis: Leyland
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 17500, probably kg
How wide does that unit make your bus. If it's drivable with the added width I'd probably look into sealing the unit in your case... The leak can't be unfixable.
Crisfole is offline   Reply With Quote