Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 10:46 PM   #1

Best Flat nose Saf-T-Liner to buy.

Hello everyone im new to this site and researching Thomas Flat nose R/E bus with little to no rust to buy for a skoolie conversion for my daughter and I. Ive seen one on here that there is a 1999 thomas Safe-T-Liner MVP with big under belly storage guy wants $6600.00 And also seen sale places in jacksonville and tampa for 2002-2003 for $5000, and $6500 with AC. Just curious what a normal price would be to pay for one of these buses. Im wanting a flat nose with engine in rear for sure. I live in Al by gerogia border so looking for in the area or around but wouldn't say no to traveling . Just any ideas or information to help me get started please let me know thanks.

JW6488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW6488 View Post
Hello everyone im new to this site and researching Thomas Flat nose R/E bus with little to no rust to buy for a skoolie conversion for my daughter and I. Ive seen one on here that there is a 1999 thomas Safe-T-Liner MVP with big under belly storage guy wants $6600.00 And also seen sale places in jacksonville and tampa for 2002-2003 for $5000, and $6500 with AC. Just curious what a normal price would be to pay for one of these buses. Im wanting a flat nose with engine in rear for sure. I live in Al by gerogia border so looking for in the area or around but wouldn't say no to traveling . Just any ideas or information to help me get started please let me know thanks.
i got mine from a dealer for 5400, ive seen them go for 2000 to 6000. look at as many as you can to see whats out there. i spent a year looking for mine and glad i did. anything before 97 will have a mechanical drive train, cheep and easy to work on. if its a big bus get a big motor in it. trip or activity buses mostly have the high ceiling air con belly storage and big motors.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:36 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: Cummins ISC 8.3 Allison MD3060
I over paid for mine a little, a little more than $6500 BUT it was a clean bus. Had all the options/extras I wanted and actually included a few I didn't need.

I ended up getting a 1995 Thomas Build RE with a mechanical Cummins 8.3 with an Allision MD3060 with the 6th gear unlocked. It has a huge basement!

It also comes with a webasto heater preheater and automatic chains.

Just search until the right bus finds you. Some folks search for months or years, so find their bus in a matter of a month or so. Don't let anyone rush you or make you think you have to take a certain amount of time. I have already had one seller think I acted on impulse but that's just because I didn't buy his bus and found this better option.

Move at your pace and your bus will find you.

Good luck!

James
JamieJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJackson View Post
I over paid for mine a little, a little more than $6500 BUT it was a clean bus. Had all the options/extras I wanted and actually included a few I didn't need.

I ended up getting a 1995 Thomas Build RE with a mechanical Cummins 8.3 with an Allision MD3060 with the 6th gear unlocked. It has a huge basement!

It also comes with a webasto heater preheater and automatic chains.

Just search until the right bus finds you. Some folks search for months or years, so find their bus in a matter of a month or so. Don't let anyone rush you or make you think you have to take a certain amount of time. I have already had one seller think I acted on impulse but that's just because I didn't buy his bus and found this better option.

Move at your pace and your bus will find you.

Good luck!

James
Jamie, did I ever ask you the Final Drive ratio of yours? I'm trying to work out what Thomas will and will not agree to unlock.

OP,

I have a 40' Saf-T-Liner, 1999 (built '98 )

It has the Cummins 8.3 (mechanical) and the MD3060. It is rear engine with full pass-through storage bays and has just over 100k. It has no rust anywhere and came from North Western Nebraska.

I paid $3960 including auction fees.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #5

Thank you for information
JW6488 is offline   Reply With Quote