Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2000
Best framing guide?

Hey guys, so I've come out of hibernation. I seem to abandon this place every winter.

Last year I got the new floor in, but as I have little to no experience in construction or framing, I'm wondering which topics and build threads you all would recommend for me to read on how to approach framing the bus. We have a general floor plan figured out, just want to know how to proceed from here!

As always,

Thanks in advance!

PowerDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:43 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
there are as many ways to construct a bus as there are builders.

that being said.....

i am from the cabinet type of people. all my bus is 3/4" plywood boxes screwed together with the help of a kreg jig.

all my plumbing and electrical are in the bus sidewalls, so no reason for any depth to the walls.

people frame like they do houses with 2x4's, some use metal 2bys like office buildings. some use metal and face frames of wood. i just used 3/4" ply and a kreg jig.

i posted a pic the other day of it so i have it handy - Kreg jig\

and check out my build thread under my signature.

good luck
Old 05-08-2017, 07:43 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
The best way to work out a floor plan is to put the things you will need in your bus. It's easy enough to put a bed in. As many have said, tape outlines on the floor or cardboard boxes representing what you intend to build, even if you're currently using lawn furniture.
Better yet, go camping. Make a little cook station. Start working out a floor plan. Or you can do it on paper then build it, and change it later.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
I am considering the different methods as well. I don't have carpentry experience but I stayed at a Holuday Inn expess once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:59 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 5.9 turbo diesel Cummins
Start on the side walls. If you will be using wood I prefer a 2x3 as opposed to a 2x4. I used self tapping screws to affix them to the walls. Then fill the voids with your choice of insulation. Next run all plumbing and electrical wiring along the walls then cover with your preferred panels. Make sure you place studs where all walls will be affixed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170430_121323086.jpg   IMG_20170430_121252351.jpg  
Totallyskooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #6
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totallyskooled View Post
Start on the side walls. If you will be using wood I prefer a 2x3 as opposed to a 2x4. I used self tapping screws to affix them to the walls. Then fill the voids with your choice of insulation. Next run all plumbing and electrical wiring along the walls then cover with your preferred panels. Make sure you place studs where all walls will be affixed.
Thanks so far guys!

Totallyskooled, is there any discussion that you've seen or do you know personally if there's a certain type of panelling that is preferred to go with for less rattling, noise reduction etc.

I guess any pros and cons of any type of panelling is of interest in general.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:38 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 5.9 turbo diesel Cummins
I intend to use tongue and groove solid wood barn siding type of panelling. It comes in varying thicknesses and can be stained or painted to suit your preference. To attach it use wood screws in addition to a construction adhesive. Both in the joints and along the studs. I am worried about the natural flexing of the bus causing rattling which is why I prefer screws over nails.
As far as a particular discussion or video I am unaware. Its all personal preference.
Totallyskooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:05 AM   #8
Almost There

I wish there was a thank you button on this forum, I appreciate all the info so far.

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totallyskooled View Post
I intend to use tongue and groove solid wood barn siding type of panelling. It comes in varying thicknesses and can be stained or painted to suit your preference. To attach it use wood screws in addition to a construction adhesive. Both in the joints and along the studs. I am worried about the natural flexing of the bus causing rattling which is why I prefer screws over nails.
As far as a particular discussion or video I am unaware. Its all personal preference.
We have opted to go this route as well. We will loose some floor space (not much) but it will make the building process much easier.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote