Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2023, 08:11 AM   #1

Best sealant/adhesives

Title speaks for itself! I’m curious what people have had the best luck with and the worst? Currently looking at using 3m Marine sealant 5200 fast cure for our 08 Turtletop (shuttle bus). It will be used for sealing the exterior seams where the roof, walls, rear wall and van cutaway meet. Anybody used the 3m stuff? Advice and opinions always welcome!

vanman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 08:30 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I might have used it once or twice...

rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:24 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply rossvtaylor! I’d have to say that the 3m marine is a strong adhesive! Have you used it as a sealant as well? How’s it handle vibrations and sun exposure?
Old 03-21-2023, 01:14 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman95 View Post
Thank you for the reply rossvtaylor! I’d have to say that the 3m marine is a strong adhesive! Have you used it as a sealant as well? How’s it handle vibrations and sun exposure?
Yes, it's a sealant that is approved for marine use below the waterline. It's just about the most permanent stuff I've ever seen in a tube and it's impervious to vibrations. I cannot answer the sun exposure, because I use it between surfaces (either lap panels on the roof raise siding...or between the solar brackets and the roof skin). In these places, it doesn't actually see the sun.

5200 is something you should only use for something you consider permanent. If you might want to remove something, someday, you can use the 4200. It's still a bear to remove, but you won't totally hate life while doing so.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:03 PM   #5

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. The 5200 would be exactly what I would need. I’m using it to adhere the fiberglass wall panel corners on the rear of my shuttle back to interior steel frame. They were popped out a quarter inch or so when we bought it. Leaked right down the walls and turned the cheap osb wall panels into nothing but mush. I’ll probably use it to seal all the outside seams too
Old 03-21-2023, 04:39 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Get the Fast Cure version, unless you plan to have it clamped up for a week.

Tags
conversion help, sealant, shuttle bus, turtletop