Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Best spray gun for painting??

harbor freight has a paintgun with a remote 2 quart paint pot, any gun that has the reservoir directly attached is going to weigh about 6 tons by the time you get around that 40 ft bus.
another option might be to do all of your prep and then rent a commercial airless sprayer for a coule of days.

paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
Bus Geek

i've painted buses at least a half dozen times.

a cheap gravity feed hvlp gun from harbor freight or northern tool is the way to go in my opinion. Easy to control the spray, nice even pattern and about $50 bucks i think. There are about 3 moving parts inside the gun, and it can be totally disassembled without any tools for easy cleaning. I prefer the gravity feed because it has the paint reservoir ABOVE the gun. This makes for much more consistent spray than having the reservoir below. I also run mine at pretty high pressure....at least 120 psi at the tank. I find it does a much nicer job at higher pressure even though hvlp = high volume low pressure.

you want one that looks similiar to this:

this one is $59 from harbor freight. You want one that holds about a quart of paint. You're arm shouldn't get that tired, it should take way less than an hour to paint a bus. All the time and effort is invested in masking. Remember, 2 lighter coats rather than one heavy one. The 2nd coat is also nice because you can hit all the little spots you missed the first time, like inside the fenders, or on top the rain gutter etc.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

hvlp is the only way to go vanguy,i have one similar to that and i have a devibliss finishing gun also,but that one cost 280 buks.my cheap gun works great has a 1.4 opening.The key is the sanding.i reccomend getting someone else to sand but never have any takers!Use an inline filter cheap and they work.timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote