Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Bilge Pumps

how much pressure and how many feet of head pressure are required to run yhour systems?

paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Bilge pumps typically have pretty minimal head pressure output. But...I have thought about it.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

now this may sound funny but what the hell.Afuel pump from a efi chevy gas tank mat fit the bill,not to sure how water would effect this pump,but they have lots of pressure and run around 50 bucks,as in my 94 tahoe! Not very big but high volume........ timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Carter model 74000/Airtex E3902 pumps? In TBI form they are rated to run at 9-13 psi with tremendous volume, but they are also capable of supporting smaller port fuel injection setups that require the lower volume at higher pressures. I think you could probably pick one up on eBay for $25 or less. They certainly aren't a bad idea. Heck, you could probably get a whole fuel cell, pump, sender, and GM gauge sender (for a water level gauge) for cheap.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65

$50!!! The fuel pump for our 99 Suburban was nearly $400 when we had it replaced in October! It was in the tank and some of that was labor, but $50 would be better...where is that located? It's not an "in tank" model is it? That might be a good idea for a water pump...I agree!

Ben.
NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

yea the 94 is in the tank i put it in myself.Maybe a 99 pump is different?Took a couple of hours and bought the pump at canadian tire.Theres lots of different pumps that will work,i think but these are submersible!
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSkewlHauler
$50!!! The fuel pump for our 99 Suburban was nearly $400 when we had it replaced in October! It was in the tank and some of that was labor, but $50 would be better...where is that located? It's not an "in tank" model is it? That might be a good idea for a water pump...I agree!

Ben.
I've had to do a few fuel pumps in my professional career. $50 is a very common price on the TBI pumps which are in fact in tank. They run at a far lower pressure and are available as just a pump. The pump for your CSFI Vortec engine is actually a fuel pump module. This means it comes with the hanger, sender, and pump. Furthermore, those pumps are capable of tremendous volume at pressures in excess of 70 psi. Basically, they are a lot more "stuff" and a much much higher output pump. They are also common failure points and it would seem that just about everyone is going to the module concept. Heck, buy a Chrysler. If you need to change your fuel filter you get to buy that whole module because it comes as an assembled unit in the tank.

As a side note...always use AC Delco pumps when replacing the module on a newer GM product. I've just seen a much higher failure rate on the other brands and the GM parts are actually very very competitive in terms of price. Also, try not to let your tank run too low. That fuel cools the pump. Low fuel means low cooling for the pump. Finally, always make sure you're getting a new harness end with the new pump and make sure they check the available voltage at the pump. Most pumps will run just fine at 11 volts, but 11 volts versus 13 (some voltage drop is normal) is nearly a 20% difference in amperage and that's nearly a 20% difference in heat.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Spartan (I think)
Engine: Cummins BT-6
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John
Hi Smitty,

I bought that pump this morning from my local HF for $27.99. Interestingly, when I called them a few days ago to check if they had them in stock, they said the number is for a rechargeable flashlight! I won't be using my pump for at least a year, until after I've installed the waste tanks, so its maiden voyage will have to wait for now. It seems decent quality with all metal construction, but its performance is unknown at this time. Maybe I can dummy some 12V into it and see how much water it moves. As long as it doesn't catch fire and burn the bus down I'll be happy!

John
John,
Sorry I didn't read this one earlier. The pump you bought has a rubber type (plastic) star shaped vane impeller rotating in an eccentric shaped housing. It pumps by the principle that the displacement of the chamber formed by the impeller's vanes changes as they flex during rotation. What this means is that they rub the walls of the chamber constantly and must not operate dry or they will melt and self destruct. The other weak point of the impeller is the formed flat spot that holds it on the shaft. If it ever spins on the shaft (turning with impeller jammed... ice, dirt, etc.) it will round out the flat spot and will turn (quoth the Raven) nevermore. And one final note, it doesn't like ANY type of petroleum or solvent (really cheap plastic impeller). How do I know? I have replaced four of these impellers (yeah, you can buy them seperately) in the last year.
Sorry, maybe it will work better for you than me. "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"
Best of luck.
Lee
Old 08-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #9
Bus Nut

I have an older Shurflo pump that came out of an old 5th wheel that I use to pump gray water to the black water tank. I'm planning on adding a new shurflo when/if I install the fresh water tank... Cost at Northern Tools is only $80 and I like the on-demand feature...
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _9414_9414

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Spartan (I think)
Engine: Cummins BT-6
Rated Cap: 72

Gentlemen,
I just received an email flyer from Northern Tool, and starting this week they have some specials. One of them is NT item # 2687, Shurflo On-Demand Diaphragm Pump — 1.8 GPM, 60 PSI, 12 Volt, Model# 8009-543-236. It is listed in NT's catalog @ 79.95, but the flyer says it is on sale for 49.95. Might be worth checking out as it does have the pressure switch built in for demand flow in an RV system.
Lee
Old 08-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Alot of geeks still Liquid Cool their PCs... I have plans to do the same when I finally have money. Looking into getting some baseboard radiator and mounting it outside...
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Czar
Water Cooling - Wheres the Magic?

pumping the heat out of the bus when its hot of course certainly makes alot of sense however
there is no better heat transport fluid ;)
wouldn't freon or other similar refrigerant (r134a) be a better heat transport fluid? Not as cheap, or easy, or practical, for every application but better at transporting heat??
Old 08-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Yes, but that would require alot more plumbing, and would require copper pipes...

I remember seeing a coolant that had tiny flecks of aluminum in it. Beat the pants off of any other coolant, but now I havent been able to find anything on or about it... Probably discontinued for the aluminum scratching everything up...

The only problem with that article is that it assumes that you are only using it to cool one item, the CPU. Most people I know, or have read online about, have all opted to cool their video cards, memory, motherboards, and CPU.

Plus, liquid cooling or heat pipes. Its about the same, taking the heat from one location and moving it to another for easier dissipation. I say, use whatever works. Now if Asus brings out their Ceramic Motherboard, it will get easier to cool everything down, but liquid cooling will have one more nail in it's coffin.

http://gizmodo.com/5162855/asus-mari...ceramic-plates
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote