Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2004, 01:54 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via Yahoo to phillip266
Blanking out Windows

i been looking around and see allmot no information on blanking out windows lot of people dont do it i gess but being as iam going to be driving up north ect i think its a good idea.
anyone any good idea on blanking out windows.

Old 12-26-2004, 02:31 PM   #2
Almost There

Blanking out windows

Hi There, I can only tell you about the way that I am going cover over my window openings. I am going to use 18 GA galvanized steel. In my mind I do not want to have to worry about the metal window covering rusting from the iinside or the outside. Even if coated with rust proof material some where somehow the steel is going to rust. In my case I am going to remove the gutter drip rail over the windows in my 78 Crown bus and drill and Screw or pop rivet the heated steel onto the bus. The gutter drip rail will be reinstalled over the new galvanized sheeting. I will use a sikoflex type sealer between the metals for adheason and sealing. The winddows to be cut in after that procedure is complete. There are quite a few way's to do your bus. Maybe someone else will share with you also.

Later, J.B.
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 03:06 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via Yahoo to phillip266
18 GA galvanized

was thinkig of going with that type as well one thing i was looking at doing was painting the under side of the metal that would go next to the bus to help with rust something you might want to tryn
Old 12-26-2004, 10:08 PM   #4
Almost There

Skinning the Bus

I have an aluminum skinned bus and it is already painted to prevent electrolocys. Dissimilar metals touching can cause galvanic action or corrosion. In my case I more interested in rust prevention at this point.

J.B.
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 02:21 PM   #5
Ron
Mini-Skoolie

When I blanked out the windows on my Bluebird, I removed the window from the inside, then installed a painted panel of 16 ga. steel in it's place. I used a good bead of silicone up both sides of the panel and then framed around the backside of the panel using wooden strips, I was then able to insulate the space and apply panelling over the opening on the interior. I then caulked around the newly installed panel on the outside. It was a simple but effective method.

Ron
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote