Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2022, 07:34 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
BLM shuts Skooliepalooza down???

Anyone hear or experience getting kicked out of the gathering in Cali.?
No reason given, just given mass exodus update.

What's going on???

peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:52 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Anyone hear or experience getting kicked out of the gathering in Cali.?
No reason given, just given mass exodus update.

What's going on???

Searching the net and an evening of the 23'rd YouTube vid from the site mentioned nothing of the sort and showed a lot of rigs there
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:52 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
I thought the last minute announcement of the location sounded pretty sketchy. So assuming this is accurate, it comes as no surprise...

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:36 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
It'll be interesting to hear what actually happened that resulted in the exodus.

When I heard that the site for Skooliepalooza was in CA I wondered about it. A gathering of highly individualistic, freedom loving gypsies driving (for the most part) old diesel powered buses into CA which has made it plain that they don't want diesel powered vehicles (or any internal combustion vehicles) in their state, what could go wrong? And after thinking that I figured I was just being paranoid and I still think I was but I DO wonder what the rationale was for kicking the gathering out. Hopefully there will be a follow-up in this thread. I don't get on any other social media to have a way to find out.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:00 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3L
A rumor here in Quartzsite is that they did not have any permits or permission to be there.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:14 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Educate the stupid(me) for a minute, do you need permits/permission to be on blm land? I didn't think you did, but I've never been on it or around it for that matter.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:33 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Educate the stupid(me) for a minute, do you need permits/permission to be on blm land? I didn't think you did, but I've never been on it or around it for that matter.
Yes, you do when you host a competitive, commercial, or organized group event (as per their website). I'm sure it's possible much smaller events of similar nature go unnoticed and/or unenforced. But the organizers should have known this was going to get some attention.

Not really a fan of trying to skirt rules like this personally, assuming that was the intent. It's things like this that get public lands locked down for everyone. Again, I'm not saying that's the case. I have no idea. But the last-minute notice of location seems pretty suspicious to me.

Old 01-24-2022, 02:20 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I always thought skolliepalooza was a well organized event? ive never been (quartzite is about as opposite as it gets to my liking of on-grid) but always semeed like theyd be the type to organize and run it correctly..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:30 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I always thought skolliepalooza was a well organized event? ive never been (quartzite is about as opposite as it gets to my liking of on-grid) but always semeed like theyd be the type to organize and run it correctly..
From what I've read it sounds like the event sort of splintered and had a few bad apples.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:17 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Lots of people are unaware that BLM/National Forests do require a permit system for certain types of organized events (over a certain group size, charging admission, etc).

Either way sounds like Skooliepalooza has had a lot of drama surrounding it and this isn't the first time something like this has happened with that group.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:31 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
I just found a video made by a couple whose videos I've watched before so this one came up on my YouTube page. They are at Skooliepalooza and have their take on the whole thing. I hope I'm not breaking any rules, written or otherwise, by linking this. If I am - sorry.

Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:11 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Thanks for the videos gents.
At least they got in almost 2 days out of the 10 it was planned for...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:00 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Who in their right mind would move an event 45 miles from a known good place in AZ and go IN TO CALIFORNIA?
I'm wondering now if there was some issue with the original site..... being told to get permits (extortion) and all the other BS that goes with permits so a quick decision to go into Kommiefornia?
As a HAM operator we have "field day" every year. The purpose is to grow interest in the hobby (people coming by to see what we do) and to practice our Emergency Communications readiness. HAM's are an integral part of Emergency Response and the HAM service is specifically legislated as a means by which to provide the government with trained radio operators and techs.
But when we want to hold field day near any town or on any public property....permits, fire inspections, building inspectors checking our generators and electrical extension cords, counting the number of out houses and fire extinguishers, requiring inspection of the bar b que on which we prepare our food, etc.
INSANITY.

However, even in it works out this year, it's just a matter of time before SkooliePalooza finds itself in the same situation as Burning Man.

The anti corporate, monetary system, self government, ideals of Burning Man have given way to a massive corporation with lawyers, insurance, written policies, etc..... all because government and government infrastructure (civil suits, etc.) made it necessary to protect the organizers.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:28 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Many more videos posted up by those attending. Looks like most of the participants are making lemonades out of lemons and have relocated to Ehrenberg. Here's hoping they get to ride out the rest of the event with less drama!

Old 01-29-2022, 03:51 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Permits?

If they had to get permits to host hundreds of RV's... That's not a shocker or really that unreasonable - but could be a hassle.
Often the permit process does get controlling (example: you have to provide fire, EMS, restrooms, etc...)
Any "text us last minute for location" is a way to skirt the rules but at a certain point you will get caught.
TravisJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 04:14 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Events that start small usually have no issues.. 15 RVs get together and the attendees often know each other through a forum or group or friend.. things are fun and those involved have the best intentions so the land is left clean and tidy for the next family to camp.. of course the “dream” seems to be grow and be epic .. then those that aren’t as careful or dedicated to preservation show up or personalities clash and next thing an event derails. A mess is possibly left or damage to natural resources.. the rangers take note so the next year they are hard nosed and require everything to the book as they may remember said event getting a little out of hand last year… It’s really really hard to grow an event large and keep everything in check. No one wants rules but a few bad apples showing up can destroy a good thing .. unfortunately this happens with RV events, car meets, collectors conventions , music festivals , etc…
Old 01-29-2022, 04:22 PM   #17

Skooliepaluza

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Yes, you do when you host a competitive, commercial, or organized group event (as per their website). I'm sure it's possible much smaller events of similar nature go unnoticed and/or unenforced. But the organizers should have known this was going to get some attention.

Not really a fan of trying to skirt rules like this personally, assuming that was the intent. It's things like this that get public lands locked down for everyone. Again, I'm not saying that's the case. I have no idea. But the last-minute notice of location seems pretty suspicious to me.
Skooliepaluza has been in the same place (Ehrinberg area) for the four years we have been coming (here now). To my knowledge they have never pulled a permit and all has gone off well organized. From what i have heard from those choosing to leave is that they were fed up with a group who showed up to party ALL night and every night. There is a limit to how much you can take with the “techno-thump.” There were some other issues demonstrated by participants of the event having nothing to do with the organization of it but the number one reason was that it wasn’t very peaceful at night.
Joybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 04:45 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybus View Post
Skooliepaluza has been in the same place (Ehrinberg area) for the four years we have been coming (here now). To my knowledge they have never pulled a permit and all has gone off well organized. From what i have heard from those choosing to leave is that they were fed up with a group who showed up to party ALL night and every night. There is a limit to how much you can take with the “techno-thump.” There were some other issues demonstrated by participants of the event having nothing to do with the organization of it but the number one reason was that it wasn’t very peaceful at night.

so a group decided to leave on their own and wasnt shut down by rangers? (seems like the group wanting to party all night would be the ones run out by rangers since from what I understand the idea of quartzite is off-grid, quiet, and peaceful...
Old 01-29-2022, 05:23 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Quote:
The event started in Earp CA this year. Participants moved back en-masse to Ehrenberg after being kicked out by the Rangers. It's all still up on their twitter account (though, oddly, no mention of the snafu is), where they announced the location just days prior to the start.

https://twitter.com/skooliepalooza?lang=en

Old 01-29-2022, 05:41 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
they were fed up with a group who showed up to party ALL night and every night. There is a limit to how much you can take with the “techno-thump.” There were some other issues demonstrated by participants of the event having nothing to do with the organization of it but the number one reason was that it wasn’t very peaceful at night.
It's hard to control / kick people out of public land particularly if you don't have any authority (versus a private property you can kick sub-groups of people out).
TravisJ is offline   Reply With Quote