Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2020, 11:19 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Blue Bird Measurements (please help)

Hey all,
I'm trying to make a basic sketchup model of a Blue Bird TC2000, I'm hoping some of you can help me out with some dimensions.

1. What is the depth and width of the ribs?
  2. Interior height from the metal floor to the bottom edge of window assembly
  3. Interior height from the metal floor to the top edge of the window assembly
  4. Approximate Curvature of the Roof.
This is the most difficult part. I know the standard height is 74" and I believe the roof meets the walls at 5' (for a standard height bus).

Two or so more measurements between the centerline and the walls would allow a very rough approximation of the roof. Does anyone have height measurements at the ribs that run the length of the bus (see A1 and A2 below), and height measurements at any point further out towards the windows, maybe a foot out from the walls (See B below).
Or if you have another way of conveying the curvature that would be much appreciated.

Other measurements I'm looking for:

A. Top of chair rail to bottom of window assembly
B. Rough wheel well dimensions
C. Back of drivers seat to front bumper (approximate)
D. Distance between Ribs A1 and A2 in the image above

*If you have knowledge about a similar bus but not the TC2000 (especially another model bluebird or Thomas) please share but specify the model and height.

dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:41 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
You might find these useful:

Departure Angle C2.pdf

Departure Angle EFX.pdf

Departure Angle HDX.pdf
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:20 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Thanks Native
Old 09-30-2020, 04:04 AM   #4
Bus Geek

You are welcome. If I see any others I'll post them. However, I am not actively looking for them. I just happened to have those from a little while back. I also seem to remember a manual that has interior dimentions. I just have not found it again. It is on this tablet SOMEWHERE!
Old 10-01-2020, 08:08 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I know there are a ton of Blue Bird owners who have a lot of this wisdom.

Lets start with just the ribs, everyone who has insulated a Blue Bird should know the depth of the ribs and maybe width too, sharing will take 2 seconds and help me and probably others in the future.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:10 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I didn't reply because I don't have a TC 2000. I can only assume that ribs are the same on a AA. My ribs are 1.5" deep. Width at narrow part is 1.5" and 2.5" at widest part. Ribs aren't all the same distance apart. Most are 28" the ribs where the side emergency door and front door are located are wider. About 36".
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:38 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
On my Bluebird the distance between the rib is one of 2 different widths that alternate throughout the bus.

I believe one size is 33.5 and the other one is 29.5 inches.

Also my ribs are 1.5 inches deep, same as somewhereinusa's bus (I have an All American A3 which is the next generation up from his).
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I didn't reply because I don't have a TC 2000. I can only assume that ribs are the same on a AA. My ribs are 1.5" deep. Width at narrow part is 1.5" and 2.5" at widest part. Ribs aren't all the same distance apart. Most are 28" the ribs where the side emergency door and front door are located are wider. About 36".

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
On my Bluebird the distance between the rib is one of 2 different widths that alternate throughout the bus.

I believe one size is 33.5 and the other one is 29.5 inches.

Also my ribs are 1.5 inches deep, same as somewhereinusa's bus (I have an All American A3 which is the next generation up from his).
Thank you both for the helpful feedback!

I have never understood the differences between the BB TC2000 and BB All American. Recently I learned they are very similar. Basically the TC2000 was a budget off-shoot of the more premium BB All American, intended to be sold in higher volumes. They stripped some finish and detail, adopted a more utilitarian design philosophy, and cut back on options and special features. But I have the impression that at the core they are essentially the same bus, I'm not 100% certain though. If I find the link that explained all that, I'll share it.

Do either of you have an estimate for the curvature of the roof? Doesn't have to be precise, I'm just trying to get a feel for how quickly height drops from the centerline out towards the sides?

Also, do either of you know the approximate distance between the two 'ribs' running long ways down the ceiling (distance between points A1 and A2 in the image above)?
Old 10-02-2020, 01:20 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

AA is built on a heavier chassis, usually but not always, bigger engine and heavier duty transmission and suspension.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:35 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
AA is built on a heavier chassis, usually but not always, bigger engine and heavier duty transmission and suspension.

Are you sure about the Chassis? I had not heard that (but also haven't heard anything to the contrary).

As for the engine, I believe I read that the FE TC2000 was only available with two engine options: Cummins 5.9 and a gas engine, and only available with the AT-545 or manual transmission. The RE option also had the option of a mt643 and CAT 3116.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:37 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Hear is that link I was talking about: https://tractors.fandom.com/wiki/Blue_Bird_TC/2000

Also restating my followup questions so they don't get lost:

Do either of you have an estimate for the curvature of the roof? Doesn't have to be precise, I'm just trying to get a feel for how quickly height drops from the centerline out towards the sides?

Also, do either of you know the approximate distance between the two 'ribs' running long ways down the ceiling (distance between points A1 and A2 in the image above)?
Old 10-03-2020, 07:21 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

A1 and A2 are approx 32 inches apart and appear to be just stiffeners. They don't reach the ribs.

Starting from the center with measurements taken aprox evert 4 inches ceiling to floor. Note my floor is about 2 3/4 thick because of insulation. I did not remove original plywood.
Measurements aren't precise but should give a curve you can work with.

I got some of the info about differences here https://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum...TOPIC_ID=14745

I've not looked at how the engine is mounted in a TC2000. Onmy 91AARE the main frame rails end at about the firewall. The engine and transmission are mounted to another lighter pair of rails that are bolted, a bit lower, to the main frame.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:15 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
A1 and A2 are approx 32 inches apart and appear to be just stiffeners. They don't reach the ribs.

Starting from the center with measurements taken aprox evert 4 inches ceiling to floor. Note my floor is about 2 3/4 thick because of insulation. I did not remove original plywood.
Measurements aren't precise but should give a curve you can work with.

I got some of the info about differences here https://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum...TOPIC_ID=14745

I've not looked at how the engine is mounted in a TC2000. Onmy 91AARE the main frame rails end at about the firewall. The engine and transmission are mounted to another lighter pair of rails that are bolted, a bit lower, to the main frame.

Thank you very much! this is immensely helpful.

Is your bus a high headroom model (Hard to tell from your pictures since your bus doesn't have stock windows anymore)?

The last measurement of 66" that you gave, approximately where was that taken? The wall?

Thanks again for the great info.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:31 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Is your bus a high headroom model (Hard to tell from your pictures since your bus doesn't have stock windows anymore)?

Yes

The last measurement of 66" that you gave, approximately where was that taken? The wall?

Close to but not at the wall, maybe 2 inches.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:51 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Thank you!
Old 10-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Next Question,

Does anyone have approximate measurements at the walls for:
  • Floor to top of the window frame
  • Floor to bottom of the window frame
  • Floor to Chair Rail
Ideally for high roof / high window buses, but anything is better than nothing

thanks

Old 10-06-2020, 03:32 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl_ View Post

Does roughly 12" from floor to top of chair rail (pink) 30" from floor to top of lower window rail (turquoise), and 54-60" to top window rail rail sound about right?

I'm not 100% certain how tall standard or high windows are.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:03 PM   #18
Bus Geek

On our tall-roof Thomas, they are 11.5", 31.5", and 60", respectively.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:58 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
On our tall-roof Thomas, they are 11.5", 31.5", and 60", respectively.

Thank you. Follow up question, can the area behind the chair rail be insulated? (the shadowed area in the image above)
Old 10-06-2020, 10:53 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Doesn't look like much but the model is beginning to take form (left is standard roof (74"), right is high roof (78"):