Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2021, 09:53 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmamdw View Post
Rock and Ruth,

This is an amazing thing you are doing. I'm purchasing my bus next week and will be beginning my bus build at the end of the summer, when I retire from the military. If you are still providing this service then I will 100% be interested in talking to you more about taking advantage of this amazing situation.

Cheers

Mike W.
Mike, you can shoot us a PM for contact info.

Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:45 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

I'm looking for a bus to convert now. I'm going to send you a PM for your contact info. My Moms name was Ruth so I think we're off to a great start!
Abear Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:19 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Boondocking Update for Freedom Field New Mexico

Ruth and I have decided to open the invitation not only to builders, but to skoolies in general. We have some very nice spots picked out where dry camping will be nice and you won't have neighbors to close. We picked a few spots that are nearly 1/4 mile from where the building will be going on. These spots are on the east side of the 36-18 runway, and you might get to watch some ultralight flying.

We are not far from Interstate 10 if you are traveling the southern route coast to coast.
Deming New Mexico is a couple miles as the crow flies and about 30 miles by road. 60 Miles to Las Cruces, 120 to El Paso and about 240 to Tucson.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:46 PM   #24
Bus Nut

We may hit you up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rffffffff View Post
Awesome! I’m on 40 acres in the middle of nowhere near cerrillos. Where are you located? New Mexico seems like the skoolie capital of the world!
We sometimes travel to Albucracky. We might hit you up for a visit some time this summer.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:00 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Our First Guest Build Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
I recently responded to a user that was going to buy a bus in Arizona and looking for a place to build. I offered him the opportunity to come to New Mexico and do his build on our 40 acres in the middle of nowhere, where noise and clutter won't bring the zoning nazis banging on your door. He responded with some questions about being able to receive mail and packages and what would I charge him. I told him no problem on getting his mail and packages and 50 bucks a week.

It has been a real cool experience over the last couple of months that has encouraged Ruth and I to toss out an open invitation to folks who might have an interest in the boondocking and building concept.
Our first guest has been here for a couple of months. When he got here with his new bus he was pretty unprepared but full of ambition. He had never taken on any kind of project like this but had high hopes to start with a roof raise. While I tried to impress on him that it was indeed ambitious for a newbie, one man project, I was unable to influence him into a more "realistic" approach. It is impressive what he has accomplished. I did help him with figuring out the best way to get the roof up and then more than sufficient support once it was up. I then helped with the actual raise on raise day.
Ronie was a total noob when he got here and left a battle scarred veteran. He fought the wind, braved the cold, went through a million cutting wheels and countless feet of welding wire. He accomplished a lot for a guy who had little mechanical experience and a "Bob the Builder" toolset.

Here are a few pictures from his building experience. Just a note. Ronie was kind enough to provide me with these pics he had taken and not sorted through yet, so if you see some of the in his posts that's because they are his pictures.

This is a cool welder rack he made out of bus seat scraps to sit his welder on top of the generator to haul it around.

Old 05-01-2021, 07:47 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Is that your Jeep liberty toad? I'm using one too.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:59 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
Is that your Jeep liberty toad? I'm using one too.
We ought it on public surplus auction from Colorado Springs impound. We love it. We have crawled all over the Florida mountains with it. Haven't got the tow bar mounts on yet.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:04 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Have you bought the mounts yet? I made mine.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:34 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
Have you bought the mounts yet? I made mine.
I've got a Harbor Freight tow bar that I have used to tow the full sized pickup and once even a school bus. I figure that will work fine I just haven't figured the mounts out yet. Some pictures of yours would be great.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE3000
Engine: 7.6L Navistar DT466
Rated Cap: 84 Passengers
Quote:
Ronie was a total noob when he got here and left a battle scarred veteran. He fought the wind, braved the cold, went through a million cutting wheels and countless feet of welding wire. He accomplished a lot for a guy who had little mechanical experience and a "Bob the Builder" toolset.
Ha! Indeed so, I can confirm. My time at Freedom Fields reminded me of my basic training in the military! Only with much more relaxed and friendlier atmosphere obviously

Btw Rock, I found this website hipcamp.com recently, it's just like Airbnb but for camping. I saw a lot of listings there pretty much like yours - just private individuals offering a spot at their properties for RVers and campers, often with very minimal hookups or none at all. You should advertise there also!
Ronigbzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:59 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronigbzjr View Post
Ha! Indeed so, I can confirm. My time at Freedom Fields reminded me of my basic training in the military! Only with much more relaxed and friendlier atmosphere obviously

Btw Rock, I found this website hipcamp.com recently, it's just like Airbnb but for camping. I saw a lot of listings there pretty much like yours - just private individuals offering a spot at their properties for RVers and campers, often with very minimal hookups or none at all. You should advertise there also!
I'll check it out. We scouted out some really nice sites in the arroyo's to the east of the N-S run way for dry campers.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:18 PM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Cheverolet
Chassis: 3500 Express
Engine: 6.0L V8 Gas
Quote:

Here are a few pictures from his building experience. Just a note. Ronie was kind enough to provide me with these pics he had taken and not sorted through yet, so if you see some of the in his posts that's because they are his pictures.

This is a cool welder rack he made out of bus seat scraps to sit his welder on top of the generator to haul it around.

This is such an amazing project with even more amazing views. Did you teach him how to weld also?
buslivesmatter is offline   Reply With Quote