Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2020, 08:19 AM   #1

Box store cabinets vs. Building your own

Hi folks!! I'm in the planning stages of my first build. I have a little bit of experience remodeling old homes and my parnter has a decent amount of remodeling experience, but this seems like a whole other beast.

This post is about prefab vs. custom made kitchen cabinets. We want to go as inexpensive as possible and I want to make sure the kitchen cabinets (upper and lower) will last us for a good amount of time. We're thinking we'll go prefab at first and then do a kitchen remodel with custom cabinets with a live edge counter top.

What are folks experience with the box store cabinets? I saw one tour video where they highly recommended building custom because their cabinets basically fell apart on the road. I'm fine redoing them later but not because they fell apart. Open to any and all suggestions!! Thanks!

astro_school86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro_school86 View Post
Hi folks!! I'm in the planning stages of my first build. I have a little bit of experience remodeling old homes and my parnter has a decent amount of remodeling experience, but this seems like a whole other beast.

This post is about prefab vs. custom made kitchen cabinets. We want to go as inexpensive as possible and I want to make sure the kitchen cabinets (upper and lower) will last us for a good amount of time. We're thinking we'll go prefab at first and then do a kitchen remodel with custom cabinets with a live edge counter top.

What are folks experience with the box store cabinets? I saw one tour video where they highly recommended building custom because their cabinets basically fell apart on the road. I'm fine redoing them later but not because they fell apart. Open to any and all suggestions!! Thanks!

Our box store cabinets have held up surprisingly well over the last year and a half, and we go down a LOT of bumpy, rutted, washboarded forest service roads. They're the normal prefab cabinets with solid oak doors, drawers and trim, and a particle board carcass. They're attached securely at multiple points. We only have base cabinets though, the upper part of the bus is shelves. I was worried about them shaking apart and turning into a pile of sawdust, but so far so good.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Around where I live (and many other areas) I can find "surplus" cabinets, which are usually Big Box store returns. Most are overstock, "last year's" models, or custom orders that someone didn't get/keep and in new or nearly new condition. They can usually be had for a significant savings.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
I've found them on CL. I personally plan to use just shelves with lips to hold containers on them in place. Might use some drawer slides on lower ones for heavy can goods.
The downside of that besides seeing 'clutter' is you can't lock them and any smash-n-grab thief can just grab them too. I've seen toolboxes used that lock all drawers in one which is nice. And then I've looked at file cabinets too, they are super cheap (sometimes free), and can also lock, but also have individual door latches that prevent them from opening. Paint or cover with wood veneer if they appear to 'cold' or 'office-y'.

For example, here are 9 kitchen cabinets on my local CL for $100.

File cabinet for $25: Maybe modify them to half height size on top?

Actually they make them like this, maybe I will buy this one..
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabinets, kitchen, storage