Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
Brake Problems, need help

Hello all! So I just had the bus into the garage and they informed me that both rear brakes and one front disc brake are not engaging. I have been missing one of the resevoir caps for a while now, is it possible that moisture, air or debris may be causing these problems? Or could it be that it has been sitting for a couple of months and they have seized up?

To check the wheels, what do I need to do? I assume remove the inner bolts, pull off the wheels and open up the drums. Can I check the drums without removing the duals? I have 12 tonne bottle jack, do I place this under the axle then crib it or what?

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Richard

captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Brake Problems, need help

Oh dear.
Richard, brakes are Important Stuff, and you just confessed to happily leaving the cap off the brake fluid for a long time. Brake fluid and moisture are mortal enemies. That may not be your actual problem, but....

I have it on good authority that you are very good at the things you are good at. Bus repair happens to be not one of those. Please let a mechanic repair your brakes for you.

"A man's got to know his limitations."
- Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry.

All my best!
Elliot

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:48 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Well, ain't that the truth. However I took the bus to a local "truck specalist" and they were an expensive let down. I know brakes are important, that I why I have not driven the bus with the cap off, and I have been looking for a replacement cap for the resevoir. I am able to fix brakes on my other vehicles, however the vast size and weight of the bus is daunting. So, I ask questions before I start dismantling. I do, though, take your suggestions to heart.

-Richard
Old 09-22-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

I know nothing of large hydraulic brakes, so I cannot help much there. But it sounds like you are thinking "correctly" -- and thinking-before-acting is the key. Yes, big strong hardwood blocks after you jack it up, and so forth. If you have had a lot of moisture in the air while the cap was missing, you may now have rust in your wheel cylinders and calipers and master cylinder. That would require rebuilding these units. If the rust is light, you can hone them yourself and just install new rubber. If the rust is deep, you will need professionally rebuilt units.

Best of luck, my friend!

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Thanks Elliot. I will update if and when I get to this job as winter is fast approaching up here and once it gets really cold, I'm not doing it!

-Richard