Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2005, 07:11 PM   #1
Skoolie

Brake, reverse, flashers not exactly working

Can't believe I did this most silly of things. On my skoolie I have an interior light monitor which use to monitor exterior lights . I went about disconnecting all the non-essential electrical thingies, I pulled the interior monitor out NOT KNOWING and w/o checking what line goes where that er...well, it made all the lights work as well as monitored them.

Long story short, I got no brake lights, no flashers, no reverse, the stop sign was screwy but I pulled that out and capped it off. Luckily the turn signals and head lights still work!

Lesson learned from newbie-don't pull out electrical units unless you know where it goes!

Ugh. Can I find the right wires and connect them to some other source (i.e. the clips) were constant electricity will supply them w/o making another big mess?

----------------
1990 International Ward Volunteer "Fantastic Voyage"
pangaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Electrical puzzles like this one are not that complicated.

All the lights should be grounded already. To make any of them turn on, all you need to do is apply 12 volt + current.

The first thing you should do is find a good source of 12v+ current and attach a length of wire, prefereably with a small alligator clip on one end. We'll call this the hot wire.

Be careful not to accidentally let the conductor of this wire touch anything metal as it will cause a short.

Strip an inch or so off of each wire that used to be connected the little box you removed. You can connect the hot wire to each of them one at a time, then walk around the outside of the bus and see which light is now lit up. Use a little caution, as one of those wires could be a ground. You'll know immediately as it will spark violently and get hot if left connected. It also may blow a fuse, or if you're lucky an auto-reset circiut breaker. Label each wire with a piece of tape and a sharpie marker or something similiar. When you're finished, you'll be able to identify which wire controlls which light.

That's half the battle. Now you need to figure out which of the unlabeled wires control which device. You'll either need a test light, or a volt meter. Connect the alligator clip for the test light to a good ground. Then connect the other end to one of the suspected wires. Now try each of the devices that don't work one at a time. ie: brake, turn, reverse, ect until you find the one that lights up your test light. Label that wire, and move on to the next.

Once you have all the wires labeled for the devices you plan to use ie: brake, turn, ect, simply connect the two wires that are labeled for the same device. Then go out and make sure all the lights work properly.

You might get lucky and find that the wires are already color coded, in which case you could test then connect at a much faster rate.

hope this helps
Old 05-02-2005, 06:27 PM   #3
Skoolie

lapeer, its a good idea but lots of steps involved though. But to answer your last question not only are the wires color coded but also numbered. I think for a good laugh on some electrictian's group I'll leave it so they can have a good laugh. Puzzle yes indeed!

It crossed my mind that I could just take the break lights, reverse lights & turn signals housings off and check the lines. After all, the rubber needs replacement on them anyway so I'd get this project outta the way .
----------------
Old 05-02-2005, 06:34 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Simplest thing would be to put the monitor back in if you still have it
~B~
1979GMC6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:13 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979GMC6000
Simplest thing would be to put the monitor back in if you still have it
~B~
Which would be totally awesome.....if I knew which wire went where. And I do not wish to have that ugly monitor up there-clashes with my style.

Er....thanks anyway.
----------------
Old 05-02-2005, 07:38 PM   #6
Bus Geek

if you lived near me, i'd just come over and do it for ya. I love electrical projects. We'd have it sorted out and soldered back together in under an hour.

where are you from?
Old 05-03-2005, 01:15 AM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
if you lived near me, i'd just come over and do it for ya. I love electrical projects. We'd have it sorted out and soldered back together in under an hour.

where are you from?
Southern California Riverside Co. to be exact!
er...just a hop skip and a jump from Michigan no? *g*
Thank you for the offer
----------------
Old 05-03-2005, 12:53 PM   #8
Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
I'd like to know how they wired mine, all (90%+) the wires are white with a red stripe, a few have yellow stripes. they must have been bored and ran the wires one at a time.
Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote