Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2006, 05:30 PM   #1

Brand new to skoolie's - inquiry

Hello all Skoolie.net members,

I have been viewing this great site for a while now and I think I've gathered enough courage to post.

Currently I'm the president of the Arizona State Ultimate Frisbee team and we were looking into converting a bus for our travels.

I've gathered this short list of information regarding what to look for and what not to look for, if this offends anyone's personal preferences I apologize in advance:

Engines to look for - International (DT466, DT360)
Avoid GM, Ford derived diesels (not enough power)

Avoid Carpenter Chassis due to improper welds

Lower rear end ratio means greater top speeds

Air brakes instead of hydraulic

I'm am very green to school buses in general, so if anyone has any advice on where to start, what to look for, and some reliable sources for school buses for purchase it would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Craig Myers

ctmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Buses for sale

Usually the value of a bus is dictated by demand and bus's perceived value.
May shoolie buses are a great value but have high time and milage. Lately there have been some really great low dollar buses for sale. There are skoolies and transit buses, similar but different. Remember, if the deal seems too good to be true, look out. In buying any bus, make a list of questions, ask a lot of questions, add questions to the list.
Buses are made by people. Any bus can be made as new, but money is required. Find a diesel mechanic and buy some time and expertise.
There are many sad stories about bad bus sales. Frank
Yep, I have a Thomas for sale.
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:47 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I wouldn't disclude the GM and Ford diesels. Everyone has an opinion on the 8.2, but the truth of the matter is they were used for a long time so plenty of mechanics know their way around them and parts are plentiful.

As for the Fords...are you talking the 6.9 and 7.3 made by international for Fordi nthe pickups? If you're talking about a 6.6 or a 7.8, I don't think you'll be disappointed. They're no rocketship, but they're well regarded as being overbuilt. Plenty of firetrucks came with the 7.8 Ford. Even the high spec DT466's can't leave a tired Dodge Omni in the dust at a stoplight. Don't be too quick to buy a bus unless it's what you want, but don't be too quick to turn down a good bus either.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:48 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to southerncrossranch
new beginner starting out

ok guys i am new beginner at this so please any help you can give is greatly appreciated. i want to buy and convert a bus into a motor coach just for me and my wife. all this jargon i am reading is like blowing my mind. i have found several bus's on ebay. things that i am concerned about is i am no mechanic a computer geek some what and rancher. one thing about a bus i really worry about is the long windows on each side. has anyone ever tried removing the windows and sealing the holes left behind from the window removal. i know i am looking at probaly having a engine rebuilt to almost new quality. and having brakes and transmission done. and removing the seats from the inside i can do with a little help. new tires and battery. taking off the old paint and having a custom paint job done. is it any cheaper to just buy a used motor coach. because i do not want this to end up sitting on my property as some old dinosaur that never gets completed. my brother is carpet and tile and hardwood floor man. so if i decide to go with wood floors or what ever he can do that for me. should i put my equipment in before i do any flooring. or just drill holes thru the floor after it is layed to install a stove or bed frame. and how do you insulate the bus to keep it warm or cold depending on the season. i saw a program on the discovery channel yesterday where this company bought old passenger coachs and turned them into motor homes. but shoot they more expensive then buying a brand new one.
and i have a fond place for old school busses. is it really worth the time to convert one then to just buy a good motor coach with everything already there? email me guys mailto:southerncrossranch01@peoplepc.com
southerncrossranch is offline   Reply With Quote