Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Broken Window Latches

I have a couple of windows in the bus that have broken latches. Not the latch, itself, but the plastic pull handle that operates the latch. I haven't looked at the windows closely yet, but need to. It became an inconvenience for me this morning when I wanted to open the bathroom window while I was taking a shower.

Does anyone know how these can be fixed either A) properly, or B) easily? If this is something someone has dealt with already, I'd just as soon not have to go through the learning curve....

Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:28 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

I have never had to fix one yet, but I do have one that is starting to slowly crack off so I was starting to think of how to fix it. So far all I have done is carefully epoxy'd the cracked part so hopefully it doesn't come right off. If it did.. I was thinking of what a cleverly placed screw would do....
I think you can screw right into the plastic part (carefully) and I don't think there is anything under it to catch the screw, but I could be wrong here. If it didn't catch tho then I would just craft another piece of plastic or wood... then epoxy it and screw it back down onto the track (trying to make it look clean of course)

Im pretty sure that would work, hope this describes my idea alright
Dan-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:00 AM   #3

Window latches

The problem with that fix is it can just crack the plastic that is already fragile I ave the same problem on several windows, and have found that you can open one that has a broken latch with a screw driver... But I only had that problem on the back windows so I just sealed them up so that they wouldn't leak and covered them with insulation and am fixing to put up paneling over them, since my bunks are back there I am okay with that... i would be interested in a real fix though as my skoolie is a 1980 and it could become a larger problem...
RevKaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:35 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
I wonder if the manufacturer would have any info on something like this. I'd assume they would, but then the question would really be would they feel like dealing with individual owners about such questions. I may try contacting the Thomas company when I have some spare time...and spare $$$.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 10:23 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I've got plenty of broken latches, haven't had time to mess with them yet either.
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 08:55 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
re: contacting the manufaturer

When we were travelling through Ontario I arranged a tour of the Bluebird factory in Brantford. This is where our bus came from. I contacted the office staff and they made an exception for us. Usually they only tour people who are interested in purchasing. My wife and I were quite impressed at how accomidating they were to answer my non stop questions . So give it a shot. Or you could contact the people who maintain your local school buses. When in BC I stopped into the local bus garage to get some advice on fixing my doors after the bus was broken into and they were very helpful and loved the bus. Who knows, they might have some replacement window for you. Often they have doner buses for just that. Good luck. -Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 01:14 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but the only way I've found to fix them is to use superglue to piece what you can back together, or steal parts off a window you aren't going to use.
7000 watt generator powering 2 6500 btu A/C's
Rebuilt 350 puts the power down.
66ChevyTailgater is offline   Reply With Quote