Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643
Building and wiring an RV electrical power pole hookup.

Hey guys and gals, ladies and gentlemen. I have a question for you electrical experts.

I'm still working on my bus/RV parking space in my side yard. I've buried a conduit for a power pole RV electrical hookup but still need to run the wires, and install the breakers on the service panel and outlet on the power pole. But I've been getting seemingly conflicting information on how to go about finishing this installation.

My current RV has a 30 amp three prong plug. But when I buy a bus and do my conversion, I plan to use a higher output four prong system. So I'll be running four 10 gauge wires: white, black, green and red over a distance of about 50 or 60 feet from the service panel, with all elbows taken into account. For now I'll just be using three of these, and later I'll change the outlet and connect the fourth wire (red), a four prong outlet and additional breaker.

Here's where the conflicting info comes into play.

On the one hand I've been told to use a regular household 30 amp outlet and 30 amp single pole breaker initially, then for the upgrade use an additional 30 amp single pole breaker and a household 50 amp four pole outlet. (red flag: two 30 amp breakers is 60 amps? to go with a 50 amp outlet?) A parts guy at the RV store told me no, the 50 amp outlet has one 30 amp leg and one 20 amp leg.

On the other hand, someone else told me that RV outlets are different than household outlets and are configured differently.

One story has it that I'll be running 240 volts at 50 amps. The other story has it that no, I'll be running two parallel 120 volt 30 amp circuits. One story says use one 2-pole breaker, the other says use two single pole breakers.

Then there's the whole issue of phasing the two circuits' legs.

It's enough to make a non-electrician's brain hurt.

Please help! Do any of you know the correct methods and correct parts to use for both the 30 amp installation and 50 or 60 amp upgrade? Or can you point me to an authoritative source of information?

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48
Re: Building and wiring an RV electrical power pole hookup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus
...A parts guy at the RV store told me no, the 50 amp outlet has one 30 amp leg and one 20 amp leg...
Your parts guy needs to go to the doctor and see if they can get his head out of his ass!

Here's a LINK to the information you are looking for.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25
Re: Building and wiring an RV electrical power pole hookup.

This table suggests much thicker wire for the amperage and distance you're running it.
Take your time and do it right. To be honest, if I didn't know for a certainty what I was doing, I'd consult a licensed electrician. It's serious stuff, and can really go south in a hurry if done improperly... word to the wise. Good luck.

http://www.amplepower.com/primer/gauge/index.html
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote