Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2017, 07:28 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: International
Chassis: S1800
Engine: 9.0
Building Code Issues... HALP!

Hi Everyone!

We just purchased a bus last month and have since finally gotten it registered, insured and inspected in western New York. Upon moving her to our driveway we had a neighbor complain about her presence and report us to the town.

A worker from the town came to our house and politely told us that a neighbor was complaining, and that we weren't doing anything wrong by having it in our driveway, but that we couldn't work on it without a permit.

I'm not really sure how to handle this due to the fact that it is registered as a personal vehicle, and therefore should be treated the same as if I wanted to work on the interior of my car in my driveway. The building and fire code enforcement guy is coming tomorrow to shove a bunch of building code lingo down my throat, but my question is has anyone else had an issue while trying to complete their conversion?

As of now the only information that I have is that it falls into the category of "trailer" building codes, but there is no mention of needing a permit to modify/renovate a trailer anywhere in the town's legislation. They also informed me that tiny homes are illegal in the state of New York, which I don't see how that is applicable because it will be registered as an RV upon completion.

Any advice or stories are welcome! Thank you!

5speedhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Go find the pertinent regulations at borough hall, and/or the building department.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
Skoolie

Wow, that sounds really crazy. Do you need a permit to put new seat covers on your car? What in the world? I've seen lots of discussion about city ordinances that prevent commercial vehicles in residential lots, which is obnoxious but at least half-way understandable, but this is the first time I've seen anyone get tagged for needing a permit to work on a bus. I mean, it's not a house. It's not even a structure. It sounds like someone has a few wires crossed. You may have to pull the regulations for what types of construction require permits and point out that you are not, in any sense of the word, working on a building.
lucasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:40 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
sounds like someone is trying to intimidate you. It is a VEHICLE! Not subject o building inspections.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
Go find the pertinent regulations at borough hall, and/or the building department.
NO

wait until they show up and be all sweet and listen.

They will either issue a citation or not.

If the visiting officer appears bent on issuing a citation you might explain to him that you will not be rolling over and complying with their direction unless it is clear (via the code book) that you are in violation. And they should get ready for a bunch of paperwork to prove their position.

If they do, make sure they include the pertinent regulation code numbers and ordnance numbers, then go research what code they claim you are violating.

And they can not cite you for what they think you are about to do.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:07 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: safe-t-liner
Engine: cat re
Rated Cap: 79
If he did not leave anything in writing then I would ignore the visit. If he left a stop work notice or something of that nature then I would go to the office and review the regulations.
crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:42 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler View Post
If he did not leave anything in writing then I would ignore the visit. If he left a stop work notice or something of that nature then I would go to the office and review the regulations.
Unless there is some kind of code about RV's being seen from the street, {which there are a couple of community's in Ca} I'd tell them go F*%k themselves, They have no say over your vehical unless it's on the street.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
FWIW:

I built a new structure on a 30' 5th wheel trailer frame in my driveway. Before I started I emailed Planning & Building asking if I needed a permit for the work. They replied that I did not as they do not permit/inspect RV's. I printed the email out and kept it on hand while building just in case anyone griped.

That may be a "workaround" for you?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
even if you need a permit, its probably not a bad deal.

building permits issued here, exempt you from paying sales tax at the store. show them the permit, and they know you already paid.

i agree with the others that you should not need one for customizing a vehicle, but if a city worker is on a power trip, it may be easiest to grease the wheel. that way, the next phone call complaining about a bus will be answered with a "its legal" have a nice day.

good luck either way
Old 03-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
what is it currently titled and/or registered as?
if it is still a school bus, bus and/or has commercial plates on it, that might be the issue.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:13 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blueburd
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L International Diesel NA
The bus in question is is registered and titled as a utility vehicle.

The guy didn't show up yesterday because it was raining....

He was supposed to come again today before Melissa went to class. I haven't heard any news but we will update this thread in the evening when I talk to her at home.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Rochey6957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
I know you can't just pick up and move, but it sure sounds like it might be time to think about it. Damn !!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:29 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
After everything's sorted out with the town, if I were in your shoes I'd do absolutely everything in my power to make life as miserable as possible for your neighbor. (Assuming, of course, you're absolutely certain which one called in the complaint.)

I feel pretty confident there're some creative people on this board which could provide you with ideas should you need them.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I support the advice to continue doing your thing and leave it to the town to make the next move as far as the permit action. Nothing you can say or do will dissuade them; you can only make things worse by talking. Keep the site clean and materials stored appropriately; building and code enforcement could legitimately complain about unsafe storage of combustibles, general debris, etc.

While "getting even" with the complainant feels good for a short time, remember this: there are actually people in the world who truly have nothing better to do than to make complaints to impede your progress. It's literally their full time unpaid volunteer job. Sadly anything you can do toward this kind of person, whether nice or mean, can only make things worse for you. It's best to ignore them and hope they'll take an interest in something else soon.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Jack up your car and set it on jack stands, then take all 4 wheels off
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:21 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Jack up your car and set it on jack stands, then take all 4 wheels off
If it's in the street then they can say something
Old 03-08-2017, 04:46 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
After everything's sorted out with the town, if I were in your shoes I'd do absolutely everything in my power to make life as miserable as possible for your neighbor. (Assuming, of course, you're absolutely certain which one called in the complaint.)

I feel pretty confident there're some creative people on this board which could provide you with ideas should you need them.
Many many yrs ago I owned 6 full size cummuter vans, I bought a home in a court so the property's were kinda angled so the fronts were narrow in the front, one Friday afternoon I pulled in front of my home on the street & part of the van was in front of her property so I come out later & there's a note on the windshield demanding I move my van, well in about the next hr there were 5 more vans parked in front of her entire property for the next 3 days, 4th July weekend.

So after they were moved the next week she thought she could get away with putting her trash cans on the street & leave them there, NOT city ordinance says not befor 6pm night before & must be off by 8pm day of. So city came out & had a talk with her. That & the time some idiots were bouncing bottle rockets off my house is the only time I messed with a neighbor.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:48 PM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Engine: t444e
"Please cite me the code stating that I need a building permit to work on a vehicle?"

Im guessing this person is a buddy of said neighbor, unless you are in an hoa I highly doubt there is any ordinance that can be even loosely interpretted to prevent this.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
ChiliChzPoopTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
Many many yrs ago I owned 6 full size cummuter vans, I bought a home in a court so the property's were kinda angled so the fronts were narrow in the front, one Friday afternoon I pulled in front of my home on the street & part of the van was in front of her property so I come out later & there's a note on the windshield demanding I move my van, well in about the next hr there were 5 more vans parked in front of her entire property for the next 3 days, 4th July weekend.

So after they were moved the next week she thought she could get away with putting her trash cans on the street & leave them there, NOT city ordinance says not befor 6pm night before & must be off by 8pm day of. So city came out & had a talk with her. That & the time some idiots were bouncing bottle rockets off my house is the only time I messed with a neighbor.
Best laugh I have had in a while!

Thanks for that.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Best laugh I have had in a while!

Thanks for that.