Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Bunk bed dilemma

So I've got a 3/4 size bus and am needing to conserve space. I'm trying to create sleeping quarters for 5 people, while using at least some of the beds for seating during the day. My goal is to not take up any more floor space than a pair of bunk beds would use.

My best idea so far is to make couches on each wall facing each other, that fold out so they meet in the middle, forming a king size bed. The three kids can sleep there. Over these couches will be narrow upper bunk twin beds for the parents. Not very romantic, I know, but with the kids a few feet away what's the point of having the parents together anyway, right? Anyway, this arrangement will help prevent the creation of more kids!

Okay, moving on... Here is my dilemma: Since the lower couch/beds are to be seating during travel, it would be nice if people sitting there could look out the windows. The normal position of upper bunks is pretty much blocking most of the window space, plus it would impede the headroom of the people sitting there and feel very claustrophobic. So I'd like to have the upper bunks rigged so that they can either fold up, or better yet, ascend straight up to the ceiling. Maybe using a pulley or something like that?

I can sort of visualize how I might rig the supports for the two different levels the beds would rest at, but I cannot visualize the process by which they would be raised and lowered. I have back problems, so I don't want to be in a position where I am leaning and lifting manually at the same time. The ends (head and foot) of the beds will likely butt up against solid walls due to other structural elements of the floorplan. The pulley idea is my best idea so far, but it would probably look kind of funky and maybe tangle people up. I don't think folding on a hinge would work because it would block the window.

Any ideas?

viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Bunk bed dilemma

Window weights.

Put solid cleats on the end walls to support the weight of the bed frame plus an adult sleeping, put 4 pulleys in the corners above the bunks to raise them, and then put window weights inside pieces of PVC pipe so the weights can go up and down without getting stuck. For smoothness you could use 8 pulleys, 4 above the tubes inside the wall, and 4 above the bed on the outside. Sort of like:
____- - - - - - - - - - ____
|OO|- - - - - - - - - -|OO|
| - -|____________| - - |
[] - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - [] (Ignore the dashes - the server removes spaces and collapses the drawing.)

Even better would be 4 real window sheaves. These are made with a hooded pulley wheel that sits half inside and half outside the wall, and the hood guides the rope. Choose the size and number of weights so that the bed weight is roughly the same as the counterweights, and moving it will be nearly effortless. You can balance it to tend to go up or down when released, your choice. (In the theatre, we would always make the weights slightly heavier, so if a latch failed the lights/scenery would head for the ceiling, and not down onto the actors.) You should devise some sort of latches to secure the bed frame in both the up and down positions, so climbing in and out of the bunk doesn't tip you onto the floor.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: C60
Engine: Chevy 7.4l 454 FI
Rated Cap: 59

Do a double hinged bunk setup maybe? of course this was a VERY rough drawing but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
untitled.JPG  
ramairws601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:39 AM   #4
Bus Nut

I found a 4 post bed that the matress would vanish into the top when you gave it a light push, and would come down either by lightly pulling on the rope or giving a small jerk on the rope and letting the springs do the work... But I cant find it now... I seem to find interesting things then cant find them again... Oh well.

Here is a pic of a hiding bed like what Ramairws601 was talking about...
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Cool! Lots of great ideas - thanks guys!

I'm intrigued by the ideas using either weights or springs to raise the bed straight up and down in tracks. Seems like it would be fairly easy to build, durable, and sturdy. It may take up a little more space than the folding up and away option though, but just the space used by the weights. I actually have some weights that will be perfect for this application. I could see the weights getting derailed from the pulleys though, so I couldn't really hide the whole system in a wall for fear of derailment. Plus, the weights might be noisy due to banging around in the channels, because I would have to allow enough space that they wouldn't get jammed. Springs might be less prone to problems, but perhaps harder to achieve the correct spring tension to bed-weight ratio.

The folding up and away option is also appealing in that it may be less prone to problems, but it seems like it wouldn't be quite as stable. Since the weight would be supported by hinges, it seems like the bed would move around when the sleeper tosses/turns. I suppose you could have it fold down to land on a stable structure, but it seems like it would be very difficult to get the geometry just right so that the weight would be on the structural supports rather than the hinges, and also sit flat on the surfaces. Maybe the bottom hinge could be something a little looser than a hinge, and that would provide the wiggle room needed for a smooth landing...
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 10-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1977
Coachwork: International Harvester
Chassis: Loadstar
Engine: V8, Ex-US-Air-Force Bus

I heard of a family of five (2 adults, 3 kids) in something the size of a short school bus. They had a bed in the back for the adults (could be fold out if you like) and three hamocks that you pull out from one side of the bus to the other. They fold out of the way durring the day and probably much less expensive and complicated to create than bunks.

Turtle
Old 10-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Skoolie

I ran across this while trying to get ideas for a bunkbed setup. I'm sure with some adjusting to size a homemade version of this would work in a skoolie. also it folds away and gives you more interior space when not in use.
http://www.bonbon.co.uk/clei/lollipop_bunkbed.htm
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Wow. I like it! Reminds me of a horizontal Murphy's Bed. Same concept, just folds out in a different direction.

Very cool. Thanks for the link.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: Carpenter Crown
Chassis: Unknown
Engine: ISB Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Back when I was a student I traveled a bit in Europe. This bed reminds me a lot of the sleeper cars you'd find on the night trains. There were dozens of different styles. May be worth looking at for more inspirations if you follow this bed concept.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
That's what I was saying earlier, but let the upper bunk also hinge downward....then you have a sofa as well.
Smitty
So I guess in this scenario the upper bunk mattress would have to be secured/attached to the bedframe, and probably also be a fairly lightweight material.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 10-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Not so sure, Smitty. For those with bad backs, lifting the weight of the upper bed, or lower bed, could be problematic, so counter weighting could make it easier. Just weight it about a pound less than actual, and the mattress stays down on its own, and is easier to lift than a pitcher of beer. I kinda like the idea of mounting a small motor to raise and lower the bed, then no back trouble at all.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Cause at some point, it always falls on the shoulders of the person with the bad back. Just as its always the Parents job to walk and feed the kids dog.

Expect the worst, Hope for the Best, and all surprises are Pleasant Ones.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #13
Skoolie

You know I was thinking that a murphy type of bed would be a good idea for a bus (and it is) except for the price of the hardware. I'm seeing an average price of around 300 for just the hinge. I'm sure a hinge could be fabricated for much less. I'm thinking I'm not really in need for a counter balance system and found a DIY murphy bed guide that uses 6" gate hinges.
here is the link to the DIY
http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to ... index.html

Now I just need to figure out how to work this into a horizontal mounted twin bunk bed setup that would fit in a bus. hmmm Time for the thinking cap.... Now where did I put that...

Chris
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote