Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2015, 09:10 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Bunk ergonomics (width, length, headroom, etc...)?

I'd love to hear from folks who have done bunks like these in their Skoolies:

School Bus Converted into Luxury RV: Day 33 - Bunks Done!

How wide/long are yours? If you have bunks on both sides, how much aisle clearance is there? How much headroom does each bunk have? Also, if you could post your inside dimensions that would be great. I am looking to build a larger shortie like this one:

The idea would be to locate the bunks longways, starting at the rear. I did a little research and found that 28 x 75 is a common RV mattress size, and I think that while it would be tight, it would be acceptable for an RV mattress. My wife and I are both 5'-10" and our girls are under five right now, so unless one or both of them gets to be extremely tall in their teenage years, I think we would be OK. 28" wide bunks would give me nearly 36" of aisle space between them given the inside width of the Collins body (91").

For those who think this is way too tight, please keep in mind that my goal here is a stripped down RV to use as a "home base" for weekend surf fishing trips and camping. Of course, for those who have done something similar with their bus who STILL think that it's way too tight, I'd like to hear that too. Finally (because I know someone will ask), I'm sticking with an E450 based bus rather than a fullsize because converting to 4WD is a must, as is maneuverability, so the added length and complexity/expense of a 4WD conversion rules a full size bus out for me.

Here's a very rough floorplan showing the concept:

There's no kitchen, table, or common area inside the bus because we just don't need it. Right now we camp out of an SUV and cook/eat outside. I plan to build a large retractable awning for the bus as well so that we don't have to haul around a canopy like we do now. The bus will simply be a place to crash/wash up at the end of a long day of fishing, hiking, hunting, etc... However, I do need the ability to safely carry my passengers (not in the RV compartment), hence the Club Wagon Seats. The new Transit vans have really nice 3 person benches where each passenger really has their own bucket with captain's chair style armrests, but they're very pricey. Maybe if I can snag one cheap...

Badfish740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I dont have time to go measure but here's a couple build pix. With 2 bunks you'll have more room than a condo setup in an entertainer.

opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
I dont have time to go measure but here's a couple build pix. With 2 bunks you'll have more room than a condo setup in an entertainer.
Nice setup-thanks for posting. If you do have time later I'd love to know your interior width, etc... The bodies on the Collins E-450 based buses seem to be pretty close to those of full size buses, but every inch counts!
Old 10-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Bus is 90 wide. Bunks are 80 long, 33 wide and each one is about 28 tall. Aisle width would be 24.

I went with that bunk size for a reason but the reason now eludes me. [sigh]

I used the foam from 4 seat cushions for each bunk. I also put a 2" foam topper on them. Works fine for us.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:03 PM   #5
Bus Geek

def. look at standard sizes, the first night you sleep on your side and your hip is sore from the lack of pad or your knees/feet etc dont fit...you won't want to use it again

we sleep in a king at home i have my side, she her's and animals/neutral zone in middle

in the bus we each have a twin mattress, makes inbetween tight...we sleep there tho, it's cool, you may need to look at folding bunks to get sleeping width v/s not sleeping space

could be simple hinges and chain
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:09 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
could be simple hinges and chain
Hey, hey, hey...this is a family show now, quit it!
Old 10-23-2015, 07:27 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
def. look at standard sizes, the first night you sleep on your side and your hip is sore from the lack of pad or your knees/feet etc dont fit...you won't want to use it again.
I'm going to try to mock something up and get a feel for what it would be like to sleep on. The mattress will definitely be important, but there seem to be a lot of high quality foam options out there. My sizing seems similar to opus, which is encouraging-hopefully others will chime in as well.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Our bunks are in an L configuration, and are half queen each. 30x80. Unconventional, but makes for a lot more room in the not laying down area. I lived in a truck sleeper for 20 years, so I really try for large open spaces in each room of the bus.I can pretty much sleep on any surface so I just have a feather ticking pad. She has the cushions out of an RV for now. That size needs to have a custom mattress made, I'll get to it someday.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:28 PM   #9
Bus Nut

30x80 is half of a queen size mattress. you can always get a foam queen size mattress and an electric knife. Or you can get :
Exped Megamat Sleeping Pad - Sleeping Pads - Pads, Cots & Hammocks - Camp & Hike :: CampSaver.com
or
Nemo Cosmo Air XL Sleeping Pad - Sleeping Pads - Pads, Cots & Hammocks - Camp & Hike :: CampSaver.com

both are excellent, if your bunks are 30"x80"
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I built stowing bunks (double decker murphy beds?) that holds a standard size twin mattresses.

Personally, I wouldn't want to go any smaller than that.

aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
I built stowing bunks (double decker murphy beds?) that holds a standard size twin mattresses.

Aaron, you look less yellow in person, must be the lighting

By the way what does square kittah-corn eat

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:07 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Nice use of Legos*™ for your blueprints, Aaron

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:23 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:

Did you plan your double decker using markers, constuction paper, and some glitter glue?!
wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I never thought about foldaway beds-it would definitely add versatility to the space. Back to the drawing board...