Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 666
BUS AC systems

I am down here in Texas, still hunting for my next bus... I see units like this from time to time:

Are these engine driven compressors? Or are they electrical?

I usually see what look like vents on the side of the bus, like this (same unit):

Does anyone have any info about them? I was thinking it might be straightforward enough to relocate the interior units if they weren't right where I wanted them. But it is a simple solution to AC while moving.

Bus #3- 1985 Auwerter (Neoplan) Cityliner N116/2 Motorhome
See "My garage" in profile for past vehicles and pictures.
My bus blog: https://www.autobus.us
Hotpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:36 PM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Compressor is probably on the engine. I bought a bus fro Texas and the AC was added after the fact.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:57 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

IMHO, it would be much smarter to scrap the A/C systems.

The skirt mounted condensers usually need fans replaced. If the bus has been operated in areas of salt the condensers are usually toast. If the bus has a roof top mounted condenser they usually have fewer problems.

The evaporators can be relocated but it will most probably require new hoses.

The compressors are usually automotive and not transit/coach spe'c and usually have a very short service life.

Because the evaporators are a long way away from the compressor it takes a LOT of Freon to charge the system. With multiple evaporators and lots of corners, t-intersections, and a lot of connections the systems always leak. You usually need to service the systems annually to keep them operating at peak performance. Figure on at least $1K per year if nothing is found to be in bad condition.

It would be much less expensive and more efficient to install roof top RV style A/C units and either run a genset or run a second alternator to operate a convertor to run the roof top A/C units.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:18 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
my bus came with 2 separate systems, one one each side mounted to the ceiling. 2 engine drivin compressors. they work great, my bus is rust/corrosion free. you could use this bus to hang meat in. one i moved down under my couch, the other i put under the kitchen cabinet.time will tell!
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
my bus came with 2 separate systems, one one each side mounted to the ceiling. 2 engine drivin compressors. they work great, my bus is rust/corrosion free. you could use this bus to hang meat in. one i moved down under my couch, the other i put under the kitchen cabinet.time will tell!
Same here, great for traveling. Had to add one can of 134 to the rear unit when I got it.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #6

I just removed the fan and all the AC components today. It started because of a faulty ac compressor, then we decided to go without AC and stick to our electric window unit. The fan worked great. The lines seem good. I can't speak on the condenser though. Because of the broken compressor, it hasn't run cold since we bought the bus in October. But the bus has lived inland it's whole life. Does anyone know if the fans and condenser would be valuable to someone else? Otherwise, it's to the scrapyard!
numberthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:13 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
yes im sure they wood be, do you have the space to store them? put them up on the for sale section with your location.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote