Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Bus advice

welcome aboard, fellow canadian, most people on this fourm like the 466 the most, me, well Im haveing fantastic luck with my t444e(7.3), havent towed yet, but will be. you have to look what kind of shape, how the bus was maintaned, miles, and type of tranny, these things will have to be factored in before you buy, I looked at lots of bus, I choose full size bluebired with the t444e, it was the best maintaned, and least amount of rust on it.

just my 2cents btw i see your a dodge boy eh!

gbstewart

Old 01-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

If you read the assembly plate which is normally in the driver's area, it will tell you what engine, transmission, rear axle, gross weight, vin number etc. The point is it will tell you what engine it is.

Either one would tow a trailer, as you have noted about the 5.9.

In my case, i would want to know which bus had the best highway rear axle in case you want to go 120kph all day

So i would drive them to see.
just a few thoughts
Old 02-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #3

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyrestorer

Hi Moparman: I,m thinking the same way as you are but want to make a toterhome/rv. to haul my nostalgia gasser. I,m not finding many people on here who are doing toterhomes with buses but lots are doing midsize trucks for that. Can,t understand as buses are much cheaper.That 93 wasn,t the one in toontown was it? Well take care and good luck. Steve
rustyrestorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 3208TA Cat 250HP
Rated Cap: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrestorer
Hi Moparman: I,m thinking the same way as you are but want to make a toterhome/rv. to haul my nostalgia gasser. I,m not finding many people on here who are doing toterhomes with buses but lots are doing midsize trucks for that. Can,t understand as buses are much cheaper.That 93 wasn,t the one in toontown was it? Well take care and good luck. Steve
Did you see Milicent Chronicles? (Elliot's Bus)
thommassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparman
Thanks for the replies. It looks like my offer on the 93 with the 5.9 Cummins was accepted. I will be going to pick it up this weekend. Most people I tell about my plans think I'm crazy. Why is that? It seems like a good plan to me.
I will be searching this site for help on skinning windows etc. One thing I do plan to do that I havent seen too much on is building a slide-out. I'm sure it will be a lot of work but it will be worth it. I'm exceited about the project.
My brother thought I was crazy for the longest time. He's slowly coming on board with the idea of me living in a bus and traveling around with no mortgage or rent. My mother, on the other hand, was totally gung-ho from the start. She thinks it's a great plan.

Do what makes you happy. That's all that matters.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

slide out isn't too complicated. also check the busconversions.com sitek and you can also look at pictures that companies that make slides because they show the tubing on each side that pivots. Slide is basically a rectangular box with roller assy and motor undernieth. For a bus unless you want one with minimal height you gotta cut a section of the roof out cause the slide is flat and the roof has to match that.