Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2019, 01:17 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I just spent too much of my day reading about improving aerodynamics ( thankfully it's been a slow day here at the kennels ) - sites about improving a semi's mileage, a couple of old skoolie threads about the subject of improving air resistance on buses - I'm planning on a roof raise and that will give me the opportunity to alter the profile of the roof line, rounding off both front and back, at no or little extra cost ( labour not taken into account ) -using conveyor belting to make a front air dam, side skirts, and an abbreviated tail to reduce wind turbulence at the back, will make quite a difference - belting can be low to the ground for maximum effect and is flexible if more ground clearance is needed - I'm pretty sure I can get all the belting I need for a case of beer - so the cost of going for some aerodynamic improvements will be small and going by the improvements in mileage I achieved with a simple scoop on the awkward load I mentioned before, I think a 10% improvement is reachable - with the $6.40 we are paying here for an Imperial gal of cheap gas, that 10%, or even less of an improvement, will make quite a difference on a 2000 or 3000 mile trip - if it's only 10%, I'll could save $240 on one 3000 mile trip

What is belting?

pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:19 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
What is belting?
conveyor belting
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:44 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
conveyor belting

Which is.....??
Old 03-29-2019, 04:48 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Which is.....??
rubber belting used on conveyors

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...53982448537262
Old 03-29-2019, 04:49 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Which is.....??
You've never seen a conveyor belt before? The belts are repurposed when worn out or broken. An appropriate size piece can be used for airdam and skirts. Sort of like mudflap material.
Attached Thumbnails
conveyor-belt-500x500.jpg  
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You've never seen a conveyor belt before? The belts are repurposed when worn out or broken. An appropriate size piece can be used for airdam and skirts. Sort of like mudflap material.

Thanks! Yes, I have...but was not aware that it could be repurposed to use on a skoolie!
Old 03-29-2019, 08:21 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Thanks! Yes, I have...but was not aware that it could be repurposed to use on a skoolie!
with skoolies we get to do it our way - many of us are on a tight budget, so costs are important too - for safety's sake, what we do has to be safe and legal - for something like air dams that for best effect, have to be low to the ground, I can't really think off hand of anything more suitable than rubber belting - if you hit a rock or curb with it,it will bend and fall back into place - as long as it's well fastened at the top, no damage done unless the paint job needs a bit of a touch up - 3 or 4 ply belting is amply stiff enough to deflect air -using custom air dams could easily run into $1000's and rubber belting is cheap, or if you know the right people in the right places, it can be free