Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54
Bus Conversion Business?

Anyone else thought about doing custom bus conversions for a living? If you could sell them cheap enough I think people who are looking for a less-expensive RV might buy them. Maybe not in today's economy though. I just thought that would be an awesome business to start if you could be a success at it.

-Adam

arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Bus Conversion Business?

It's been discussed many times before. I think a good lot of us would be interested in doing that, but alas...I worry that there wouldn't be much of a market and after you got through all the hoops of becoming a vehicle remanufacturer....

On the otherhand, Jason seems to do ok with his jacuzzi bus ventures. Of course that is a bit of a niche market. Maybe, just maybe I can get a job in Ann Arbor in a year and I could give him a hand with that stuff.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54

Yeah I was thinking... with my carpentry experience I could do the cabinets, wall coverings, countertops, bunkbeds, trim, etc. etc.etc. I would need an electrician, plumber and a mechanic that knows gas and diesel engines. With a crew like that we could do anything. I think I am going to be moving to the Kansas City, MO area within the next few years - I think the market there would be better for such a business. Who knows.

-Adam
arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

I have spent time thinking about this as well but after looking at the cost of my conversion and expected total cost, and the cost of new (although poorly built) RVs I think one would have a hard time selling skoolies to the general population. I mean lets admit it people, we aren't exactly your average north american... we are living in old buses! At least thats what they will say. To give you an idea, I will spend about $40,000 on my bus by the time I am done. Now granted my bus isn't the average weekend conversion. (I live in Canada and plan to live in it all year round in temperatures as low as -22 F so some special considerations are needed) This doesn't include my labour, based on the numbers I use for my construction company, I would have to sell my bus for at least $80,000 and thats not making a decent profit $100,000 would be more aligned with how I build houses here. Of course I am talking Canadian dollars here. So I have to say I really don't know anyone willing to shell out $100,000 for a bus that already has 200,000 kilometers on it. I'm not saying its impossible because I believe that anything is possible, I am just saying that for now, I am going to keep building houses not buses.
Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote