Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2020, 11:14 AM   #1

Bus heater

Hey,
I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on how important it would be to take out the original heating from the bus. I tend to be in colder climates most the time and figure that with the bus that probably would not change and I would like to have a little bit better option at heating while I'm driving then I might if I removed it. The heater section would be left would be under the couch, it's pretty small, so I'm not too concerned about it being in the way of anything but I was curious if anybody knew of any particular reason it should come out anyway? thank you so much

HestiaMea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:20 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
definitely leave your front heating system.. those factory heaters and defrosters can be restored with cleaning the coild and replacing the fan motors so they will work better than any aftermarket..

for the rear you can re-use one of the rear bus heaters.. clean it up as necessary and use it.. make it accessible as the fan motors dont last forever so you need to be able to replace them when they die..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by HestiaMea View Post
I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on how important it would be to take out the original heating from the bus. I tend to be in colder climates most the time and figure that with the bus that probably would not change and I would like to have a little bit better option at heating while I'm driving then I might if I removed it.
I had to reinstall the entire coolant loop in my rig, primarily for the defroster. Engine heat is one of the few things that was able to warm up the cabin without even having it insulated... it is going to be a real nice-to-have in colder weather.

You can just not circulate the coolant in warmer weather to keep normal heat from frying you- usually there's a booster pump or something for that you can just shut off. I put mine on a PWM motor controller to act as a thermostat. Just check to make sure your heater loop is not inline with the radiator loop.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:54 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I use electric valves on the mains and on each heater core since mine are all in parallel.. this way i can turn on the heat in the area of the bus i want and have it self-regulate..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote