Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2004, 04:24 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via AIM to rabiznick
Bus Leveling

Just curious as to how you folks level your buses when setting up at a campsite. Are mechanical (elec/hydraulic) systems worth the trouble?
Real new to all this stuff, would appreciate your input...Russ

rabiznick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:04 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
I don't bother leveling I really don't notice it. I imagine some simple blocks of wood would work just fine.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 04:05 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Steve..I was wondering just how critical it is to level up when parked. I hear others talking about how level the rig must be for the sake of the fridge. Or is that just another "boondockers legend"?
Old 11-06-2004, 11:47 AM   #4
Almost There

I find it more comfortable to sleep if I level the bus somewhat, but I don't spend too much time worrying about it , I just carry some blocks to put under the low wheels and drive onto them. I have some camping trailer stick on levels stuck inside the bus, one in the center of the dash, and one on my left side panel beside me. I can drive up the boards I carry and watch the levels. Too easy, quick, and cheap.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:47 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Having the bus somewhat level is reasonably important for the jacuzzi. I"ve considered fabricating some elaborate hydrolic leveling system like the expensive motorhomes use, but I've found that a few 2x4's work just fine. I keep a few in the back of the bus. They're about 2 feet long each. I've used up to two or three boards thick before. IF the boards are used on the passenger side, it can make for a big first step!

It's really easy to stack em up and pull the bus up on top. Most times i only level the rear tires, but doing the fronts would also help i suppose.

Some hardwood planks would work better in teh long run. I've destroyed my share of 2x4's from the extreme weight of the bus. Also, it's a good idea to have the wood under both tires on the same axle. If you're loaded heavy and only put boards under one of the duals the tire really buldges qutie a bit. This is probably not so good for the tire, and makes the leveling process that much more difficult since the buldge can easily negate the height of at least one 2x4

just my 2 cents, hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:47 AM   #6
Skoolie

Rabiznick …Leveling a rig is really important if you use an RV absorption-type of LP Gas fridge.
(Those are what 99% of RV’s & Buses use )

Those fridges don’t work well if they’re not pretty level. And eventually you’ll ruin them if you try to run them that way.

If you go for a regular electric Fridge, run off your inverter …then you don’t have to worry about it being level.

I’m going for a really good quality & energy efficient fridge in the trailer I’m going to build. We’ll be able to run it off 120 AC (line in) or off our inverter when necessary.

Michael
The Mobile Homestead
http://www.mobilehomestead.com
Old 11-07-2004, 01:26 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
I drive onto 2x10 planks, & will probably level with trailer-style crank-down jacks to keep the bus from moving on the suspension.

The LP reefers are much improved--it takes quite an angle to hurt them, though they are more efficient when perfectly level.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 02:34 PM   #8
Bus Nut

If your bus has air bag suspension you can make an automatic leveling system like the transit buses have.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:24 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you all...that's what I love about this forum , Russ