Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2021, 01:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Bus (minor) accident

My new bus was clipped by an 18 wheeler hauling a shipping container. My bus was legally parked so it's 100% other driver's fault. Looking at the damage, it's not a simple dent to pop out. So a couple questions:

1. Are there collision shops that specialize in busses? This is a rivet job, not merely bolting on a new fender like a car.

2. Any experience with bus damage claims? I haven't seen a claims adjuster from the insurance company yet (Nationwide) Do you think they'll just call it totaled, because the repairs likely exceed the value of the bus?

Thanks!

LRScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:10 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I had similar damage on one of my back corners. I just hammered it out from the inside so it was relatively smooth and then Bondo did the rest (starting here, fifth pic). I would get whatever money was going to come from their insurance company and do it myself.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:24 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Hopefully they won't consider that damage a "total loss", as it can get tricky when it comes to titling and registration if you plan on keeping it. The damage looks to be all cosmetic, as it doesn't appear to be structural to affect the drivability of the bus.

In my state if a vehicle is classified as a total loss by an insurance company and it is then fixed and ready to put back on the road, it must be inspected by the state to determine if it is truly once again roadworthy before they allow registering it again.

While the inspection process itself is fairly easy, a "Rebuilt/Salvage" title is then assigned. This unfortunately drastically lowers the value of the vehicle if ever resold, and some insurers won't even carry it under their umbrella.
Your state might be different?

Good luck, and let us know how you and your bus fare when all is said and done...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:39 PM   #4
Skoolie

Please let us know how this turns out.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:32 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Pre-1: did you get the other driver's insurance info?

1: chances are you'll be heading for a truck and trailer repair shop for this. They deal with rivet-on-sheet-metal bodies.

2: IF insurance doesn't know how to proceed see #1 then offer them whatever estimate you receive. Hopefully they don't do the cost-vs-value comparison because let's face it disregarding your customization the chassis is worth next to nothing to them.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote