Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2020, 12:14 PM   #1

Bus not turning on at all.

Hello everyone, I'm brand new posting here and just bought my bus a few days ago. This morning I attempted to start my bus only to hear a single click when turning the key and nothing else. No engine turning or anything of the like. The batteries are brand new, oil's fine, temperature is fine, but for some reason I just hear a single click and that's all I get. It's a 1987 blue bird if that's any help. I'm thinking it would have to be the starter but I needed to make sure. If anyone could tell me what's going on or any advice please let me know. Thank you all for inspiring me to buy my bus in the first place.

Gringourd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:32 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Do you have a voltmeter? You should first check that the batteries have 12.5 volts. Also check the connections on the batteries to make sure they are clean and tight.

Make sure all the doors are closed tight.

You hear a click, so I wouldn’t think it’s neutral safety switch, but you may want to make sure it’s really in park.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:47 PM   #3

Thanks for responding! I'm at AutoZone right now having them check out the batteries. I don't have a voltmeter but I'll buy one while I'm here. After I get back home and put the batteries in I'll post an update.
Gringourd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:05 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Starters have been known to develop dead spots in the windings as they wear. If the batteries check out okay and there are no obvious issues with the cables or terminals, you might try smacking the starter with a hammer to see if it wakes up.

If that doesn't correct the problem, you may be looking at a bad ignition switch, bad solenoid, or possibly some sort of safety interlock. Check connections at the starter, the ignition switch, solenoid, anything to do with the circuit. Also check to make sure that the start circuit does not have a secondary control relay inline to the solenoid or something.

Most starters can be jumped out to pinpoint a fault in the starter versus a fault in the control circuit.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote