Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: Bus Plan Picture

I like the plan on the far right, except I would flip the bed 90 degrees so the the pillows are against the back wall, and put the bed in the middle so each person can exit to the side of the bed. You could put narrow closets on either side where nightstands would normally be. And if you have enough room, push it forward a foot or more and build a wall so you have a storage area accessible via the back door. That's exactly how I would do my bus if it weren't for the fact that I need to sleep 5 people, and my bus is 3/4 length.

viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

The one in the middle looks really familiar! Almost exactly like my layout.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Consider that the shower drain can't really be much higher than floor level, so without pumping your gray water, your shower location will likely dictate where your graywater tank will be located. If that's the case, the graywater from your sink(s) has to get there by some path via gravity (1" of drop for every foot of horizontal travel, IIRC), and if you have to cross frame members or axles, it can get interesting. Freeze-proofing any exterior pipes might also be a consideration.

And I love the idea of a rear deck as much as anyone...but there are some challenges to making it a useful space. First, the access door is 4' tall. The deck in the sketches is 2' deep, which isn't really a lot of working space to do much, unless the grill/table is cantilevered out somehow. Also keep in mind the door will swing outward to open, so it will eat some space. IMO a rear deck is great for storage & maybe an extra access, but as space for a cooking/chilling spot, you might be better served with a 10'x10' pop-up shelter & camp chairs.

Just my opinion on all counts. In any case, please keep the rear emergency exit accessible & operational.

Good luck
Sean