Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Bus seat foam cushion insulation?

I know, wild idea lol, but Im a bit short on cash and wondering if theres any decent insulation value to the foam cushioning in these bus seats, mainly to cover up some windows temporarily. Theres two main types of foam in the seats. A blue/mulitcolored foam and thin yellow foam in the seat backing, and the same type of yellow foam in the seat cushions but as thick as the seat bottom.

I hate to just take all this insanely hard matetial to create by yourself to the dump, pleather and frames included. Im even considering using some pleather as a rug/mat after my insulation and plywood are in. Ive already seperated the frames from the rest of the material for easier transportation/dumping and it was fairly easy and thats what got me pondering.

I know corrugated cardboard is a fairly decent insulator for its freeness and availability if it comes down to it. Maybe sandwhiching some foam between cardboard would be more effective? Or maybe it could be useful for sound insulation. Just throwing some ideas around.

Kota Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:07 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
While not sure exactly what it is, I think the problem with it as insulation is that it will absorb moisture like a sponge, but as a short term fix, sure better than nothing.

Quilting up the seat material would be super cool as roof covering or wall covering or something. Make it into a checkerboard pattern or maybe go over the top into a herringbone pattern. lol

BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote