Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Building a under bus storage box with an old locker

Well if it were me I would use my grinder with a zip cut blade in it to cut the hole. They are just able to cut such a nice line compared to the recip saw. I have cut with a sawzall but only where I am going to cover it up again because it is so rough and hard to control. As for your little braces and how to attach it, I would weld that sucker right in there. I would weld it to the sheet metal and the floor joists then the locker takes the place of your little metal tabs holding the sheet metal. Alternatively I would do as you mentioned with U-Bolts but I would also put little metal 45 degree angle brackets all around from the locker to the sheet mental to keep it sturdy otherwise your sheet metal may move around a little too easily. Post some pics when your done I would love to see it!

Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
Bus Geek

for cutting sheet metal, i also like to use a standard 7 1/4" circular saw like you'd normally use for cutting 2x4's or plywood. I put a metal cutting abraisive blade on the saw. I find this to be one of the easiest methods for cutting a straight line in sheet metal.

like mentioned above, the skinny abrasive cut off blade on an angle grinder is also a great solution.

I'm all about safety 3rd, but with either of the above methods, don't for get to wear ear, eye, and breathing protection. Lots of small glowing red hot flying metal particles, dust, etc flying around and it is surprisingly loud!

I have certianly used a sawz-all and have the same problem of not being able to cut a straight line. Ugly cuts can be made with a torch, or even an arc welder with the heat turned most of the way up...not something you're gonna do on this project, but just thought i'd throw those out there. I like cutting things with my arc welder when neatness doesn't matter. I've even cut through 1/2 inch plate. someday i want to own a plasma cutter......
Old 10-13-2008, 12:00 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Great idea. A friend of mine offered me some old school lockers a while ago but I couldn't think of what I'd do with em. I'm going to see if he has them still now.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Nice job! Wish I could find a couple of those. . .
Old 10-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
Bus Nut

that looks great and it's the perfect width (height now)

nice work...
Old 10-13-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender477
rob a mercury switch off a car hood to make it turn on when the door is up .
First of all...pure awesomeness. I've been wanting to do just this mod for some time now, but just haven't stumbled across any lockers.

As far as a switch goes...I would just get a generic door jam switch. Get one that controls ground and you'd be all set. They're cheap and any parts store worth a warped rotor will have a big rack full of Motormite Conduct It! stuff.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #7
Hex
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird, Model 3800
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender477
and rob a mercury switch off a car hood to make it turn on when the door is up .
Or from an old house thermostat ...
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote