Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2024, 01:32 PM   #1

Bus Value question

I am the director of operations for a school in Tampa and we just acquired two new Ford Conversion buses. We have two old Ford E450 conversion school buses we are looking to sell and I was hoping for some help on the value.

One is a 2011 Ford E450 conversion bus that seats 20 people. It has just under 200k miles on it. The other is a 2105 Glaval Universal Ford E450 conversion bus that seats 25 people with 130k miles on it. The 2015 one had a new engine put in just over 12 months ago, so the very few miles on the new engine.

We need to sell them and I am having trouble finding a good location. Open to any advice.

SchoolBus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 10:34 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolBus10 View Post
I am the director of operations for a school in Tampa and we just acquired two new Ford Conversion buses. We have two old Ford E450 conversion school buses we are looking to sell and I was hoping for some help on the value.

One is a 2011 Ford E450 conversion bus that seats 20 people. It has just under 200k miles on it. The other is a 2105 Glaval Universal Ford E450 conversion bus that seats 25 people with 130k miles on it. The 2015 one had a new engine put in just over 12 months ago, so the very few miles on the new engine.

We need to sell them and I am having trouble finding a good location. Open to any advice.

So I'm not 100% certain on your area, but as I understand the situation, as a school that almost certainly receives federal funds, you are kind of prohibited from doing direct-sales to anyone other than a gov agency. I believe the appropriate thing for a quasi/pseudo -governmental agency to do is to place them up for auction so as to prevent any accusations of preferential treatment, disposal, embezzlement, et cetera.

I believe there is an organization called "government auctions" or something like that which happens to deal with a lot of school buses. Reach out to them, and they should be able to help you dispose of government property purchased with tax-payer funds reasonably quickly. Well, at least as quick as anything in the government works.

govdeals.com, govplanet.com, publicsurplus.com should all be able to give you a hand and quickly dispose of the property of the People of your local area without too much fuss.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 03:20 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:

Ive bought & sold at Tampa Machinery Auction - Thorough, Honest Folks. Local to you
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:01 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Those are both good vehicles for skoolie conversions that should appeal to potential skoolie owners who are looking at slightly different price points since they are a) free of rust (presumably); b) relatively recent and c) in sound mechanical condition. Mileage, especially mileage approaching 200K starts the descent to 'need to see gone' ads even if the bus is running well.

Ceiling height is an important factor-a lot of skoolie conversions insulate the floor and ceiling, so if the interior height is currently close to about 6 feet it limits the market a bit.

The market to find buses for sale is highly distributed. Facebook Marketplace is a good place to scan to see similar vehicles-I'm sure you're already looking there. This forum has a for sale section. Note that some buyers travel long distances to retrieve the bus they've bought, so your buyer might live far from your state, potentially.

Others here might be more current on market price estimates for these. If they have no current mechanical issues, the tires have some tread left they should sell faster and fetch the best price the market will bear.

Good luck, and come back and let us know how it went once you sell.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:35 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Smile Gavel

Quote:

What is a Glavel Universal Ford? Also Rene Bates Auctioneers Auctions surplus for Schools & Such.
Walter62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:39 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2011
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chey express 3500
Engine: 6.0
Bus value? Such a wide subjective question. With all the variables it’s exhausting to think of. Sellers want top dollar buyers want low dollar. When I was looking the reliability of the vehicle, the character of the seller and the price is how I went at it. But I did find that location didn’t effect the price much and there’s no Kelly blue book on a bus.

KC1KDM
Jesussaves is offline   Reply With Quote