Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2022, 05:29 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 8.3L Cummins
Rated Cap: 36,000lbs
Bus Won't Start - Cold Snap

Before all this freezing weather, I started my rig last week with no issues. After a week of freezing Temps, now it won't start. '04 BB All American, 8.3L Cummins. It has an outlet plug in front of the bus, next to door, & I assumed that's for a tank heater, so I connected an extension cord to it. There's a cover where I think an engine heater connection should be, but I don't think my specific rig has an engine heater.

I've had a big battery charger connected to the batteries, & after being connected overnight, the charger signaled that the batteries are full, & all my marker/head/taillights come on bright.

Anyone else had this issue in Winter? Suggestions?

BigTiny321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:12 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e 215hp Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 77
If there is a block heater the engine should be very warm in around 3 or 4 hours.
Timeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:19 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Diesels generally do not like starting in the cold. Usually they will have a frost plug heater in the side of the engine block. The plug in for mine is in the engine compartment.

To check if your engine heater is working plug it in for a couple hours and then put your hand on the engine block and see if it feels warm. If it's really cold out it may need to be plugged in overnight before it would get the engine warm enough to start.

The 8.3 will also have a grid heater in the intake this cycles on with the "wait to start" light. If there is something wrong with the grid heater the bus could be difficult to start.

Batteries are a good thing to check. If the batteries are old they may not produce enough current to crank the engine fast enough to start it. Even if old batteries will charge to full voltage their capacity could be limited.

If it got very cold your fuel could have clouded or gelled which would cause problems starting / running.

Whatever you do don't use starting fluid. It can explode when the grid heater kicks on and can be really hard on or destroy an engine if not used correctly.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:47 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Won't crank or won't start?

The plug could be for a block heater, you'd have to follow the wiring and see where it leads. I'm not aware of any tank heater that would be 120v powered, only a block heater.

The factory would install the block heater plug down low on the RF corner behind a black cover, in front of the door. Often times the cover will be broken and missing. I'm not sure if they would install the hole/cover if they didn't install the engine heater. We've always had the engine heater installed. Occasionally those connectors would corrode, and it'd be easier/cheaper to install a cord elsewhere(like behind the bumper) then it would be to reinstall a new connector into the original location.

Depending where you're at, a lot of places have unusually cold weather, so your fuel might be gelled up. That's especially true if you're in the south, and if you have summer fuel in the tank yet.

If it's cranking but not starting, I'd wait until it thawed out this weekend(most of the country is) and than add a few bottles of the white power service to treat the tank. Follow the instructions on the bottle for how much you should use, but don't be stingy with it.

If this needs to move now, you can use the red bottles in the tank. Remove and install a new filter(s) filled with fresh fuel or kerosene, then try starting it again. If you're starting this up because you think it needs to as some sort of prevention measure, then don't, as it's actually worse for the bus then it is helpful. Putting your batteries on some sort of maintainer is really the only thing you need to do for short term storage like that. That, and making sure the coolant freezepoint and additive level is correct, draining the air tanks, etc.

But you don't need to start and idle the bus periodically. It's actually harmful to do so without driving it up to highway speeds.
Old 12-30-2022, 11:02 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Diesels generally do not like starting in the cold. Usually they will have a frost plug heater in the side of the engine block. The plug in for mine is in the engine compartment.

To check if your engine heater is working plug it in for a couple hours and then put your hand on the engine block and see if it feels warm. If it's really cold out it may need to be plugged in overnight before it would get the engine warm enough to start.

The 8.3 will also have a grid heater in the intake this cycles on with the "wait to start" light. If there is something wrong with the grid heater the bus could be difficult to start.

Batteries are a good thing to check. If the batteries are old they may not produce enough current to crank the engine fast enough to start it. Even if old batteries will charge to full voltage their capacity could be limited.

If it got very cold your fuel could have clouded or gelled which would cause problems starting / running.

Whatever you do don't use starting fluid. It can explode when the grid heater kicks on and can be really hard on or destroy an engine if not used correctly.

Ted
Thanks for the reply. I had a bus service tech come out, & he determined that I have a bad starter. $800 for service call, $400 to rebuild starter, then another $800 to re-install. Due to me being 7' tall, me doing install isn't an option, so I have to shed a tear, the whip out my credit card.��
Old 12-30-2022, 11:14 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
If you would fill in your personal information then we would know what section of the country to avoid for service calls. Glad it's back up and running.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:21 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I'm in Grayson GA. About 30mi North of Atlanta
Old 12-30-2022, 11:49 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
please fill out your personal information so we all know. Click on your name, go to "about me" tab and add information.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 06:06 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTiny321 View Post
I had a bus service tech come out, & he determined that I have a bad starter. $800 for service call, $400 to rebuild starter, then another $800 to re-install.
Yikes. My new starter cost me $900 (installed) plus $300 for a tow.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:09 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
I made a new video today. Maybe these tips will help you going forward.

--Kevin

https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 05:50 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
I made a new video today. Maybe these tips will help you going forward.
Ah, I use that same diesel fuel supplement stuff, nice to see my completely random choices vindicated by others. Also nice to see that Diesel 911 is a different product since I saw a post here the other day about how it's not for normal every-fill usage and I thought maybe they were talking about the regular supplement stuff. I've never had any trouble starting my DT466e in colder weather, but then I don't think I've ever tried in temperatures below 30°F.
Old 12-31-2022, 07:57 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1967
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S500
Engine: Dodge 318
Too bad I didn’t see this sooner, I live in Atlanta and could have saved you the diagnostic fee. How long are you here?
Unpluggedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 09:53 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTiny321 View Post
Due to me being 7' tall, me doing install isn't an option...
Tell this to Mark Eaton.
Marceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 04:23 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpluggedone View Post
Too bad I didn’t see this sooner, I live in Atlanta and could have saved you the diagnostic fee. How long are you here?
I live here(Grayson)!

Tags
bus won't start, cold start, winter