Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2020, 02:17 AM   #21
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Good. I figured it was time for new batteries or you had a weak / bad cell.

CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:48 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
I like the Interstate batteries for three reasons:
1) I have had good results on multiple vehicles using them.
2) Interstate batteries are sold by auto repair shops nationwide.
3) The warranty is easily enforced because of reason 2.

House brand batteries usually are only good within a chain store and some chains are only regional. Also always be careful when connecting anything to an 8D battery. They are capable of extreme current flow. Also, if a second person is available get help to change them, they are rather heavy. I plugged in my 20 watt solar charger today to keep my batteries topped off.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:08 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444e Diesel
Yeah, glad it was resolved.

Have heard good things about Interstate Batteries so those are what I'd like to get. But hopefully I can get "blemished" ones and save a little.

This forum has been invaluable!
Joe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:25 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I personally buy batteries from my local mom-and-pop shop. I've had just as good luck as the more expensive ones from the Big Box stores.
You could switch from a pair of 8D batteries to 3 or 4 Group 31's (which are very common in big trucks), assuming your battery box/tray is designed to accommodate them and has hold down provisions. You'll need extra cables for the parallel connections if you go this route. I believe I paid roughly $70 each for the last group 31's I bought.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:31 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
OOPS!

Sorry!
The batteries are too old and not charging. One of them is marked with "2012".
Had the charger on for several days and still only getting 10.3 volts. Magnakansas helped me figure it out.

So now I have to find a pair of those 8D-XHD batteries, preferably from Interstate Batteries. Trying to find "blemished" ones to see if I can save some money.

Bus has been sitting for a while so I really need to start it and drive it around.
2012, wow. My batteries died shortly after I got the bus, I think they were from 2015. I just unhooked them and took them in to an Autozone down the street. They tested bad and they sold me three new ones. Only "mechanical" thing on the bus I've done correctly so far.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:45 AM   #26
Bus Nut

So far the price difference between Interstate and the house brands have been minimal. I've found $215 for house brand and $252 for Interstate. That's $37 difference for one and $74 for both. I want to save where I can, but considering how much they are, I think it's work spending a little more for the Interstates. Still, I will be checking for the "blemished" ones because supposedly that comes with a good savings.

Didn't expect to spend $500+ for batteries, but that's what it is.

I will check about the group 31s...

Again, thanks.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:53 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
You'll also want to disconnect the lead running from the two port side batteries over to the starbd. side lift batt, so no chance of cable rubbing on anything causing a potential melt-down of your wiring.

Removal of the cable would be my route of choice...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:51 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
You'll find the T444e will start just fine with a pair of group 31's, or a single D8. Unless, of course, there was some specific reason yours had a pair of the larger batteries (very cold region operation?)

I have the T444e and mine came with only a pair of group 31's, and other than replacing the batteries (which were questionable when I bought the bus, the school district mechanics even said so), the pair has served me just fine.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:52 AM   #29
Traveling

CCA's are like a gun when you're in trouble...

Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:15 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Thanks everyone!
I am going with a pair of 31s.

What is a CCA?
Old 11-28-2020, 12:42 PM   #31
Traveling

Cold Cranking Amps. Amps are the current available to spin the engine over. More CCA, the more likely your cold starts will be successful.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #32
Bus Nut

OK, thanks! Cold Cranking Amps!

Definitely taking out the starboard battery wire! Will use that as a compartment for storage of maybe tools or something.

Went to the local Wmart and they were out of 31s. Man at the auto department said that if I use them for a vehicle other than what they are intended for, it voids the warranty.

I am going to check Nappa as well.

I was pretty set on Interstate, but then I was thinking that Walmart and Nappa are all over the country. If I need to replace a battery under warranty while traveling, it will be much easier to find a Nappa or Wmart. The Wmart ones have 3 year warranties on some, so that's pretty good it seems.
I'm thinking some of the popular auto parts stores are also all over the place. But nothing beats Wmart for being everywhere.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:33 PM   #33
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
Went to the local Wmart and they were out of 31s. Man at the auto department said that if I use them for a vehicle other than what they are intended for, it voids the warranty.
Oh, yes, because minimum-wage MalWart 'experts' know all, right? BS like THIS is why I don't shop at MalWart...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yoda - Strong Is The Bullshit In This One.png
Views:	3
Size:	966.9 KB
ID:	51487
Newsflash, if they never see the vehicle, they don't know, now, do they? Cash-and-carry...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Popcorn Sutton - Two Laps - Cheerio.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	51489
Old 11-28-2020, 07:40 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Question:

Do I have to use a 31 series battery, or will other kinds work as well?
Like for example a Group 65?

Asking because Walmart wants me to say what ruck its for and they don;t have a listing for an International CE200.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:42 PM   #35
Traveling

Post a pic of your bus' nose, and I can tell you what its Navistar truck series equivalent is.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:44 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Oh, yes, because minimum-wage MalWart 'experts' know all, right? BS like THIS is why I don't shop at MalWart...
Newsflash, if they never see the vehicle, they don't know, now, do they? Cash-and-carry...

LOL! I agree!
But they still wanted to know for what vehicle. Since they didn't have the CE200 listed, and since they didn't have Group 31s, I didn't go further. But I am thinking it probably gets written down in the receipt/warranty.
So after I thought I could just buy two for a Ford F350 Super Duty or something like that.

I looked online and their vehicle listings for international don;t include the International CE200 either.

So now I am wondering if another battery type is fine, like the Group 65 listed for Ford F350 Super Duty trucks.

Maybe Napa will be different.
Can't see why the hell I can't say "Gimme two Group 31 batteries with 800 CCAs" and be done with it. But again, maybe they have that required BS with the warranty.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:59 PM   #37
Bus Nut

This is my bus...

Quote:
Post a pic of your bus' nose, and I can tell you what its Navistar truck series equivalent is.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1226.jpg   Bus_IMG_0385.jpg   IMG_7764-1 copy.jpg  
Old 11-28-2020, 08:00 PM   #38
Traveling

In a word, if you'll permit the indelicacy and language -- horsesh*t. This is coming from someone who worked an AutoZone parts counter and was fired for making sure people got what they needed. I didn't just hand them an off-the-shelf part and brace myself for the hurricane when they returned, p*ssed off that the part they got wasn't the right one or didn't fit. I have put 850 CCA batteries in a 92 Cavalier 2.2L. And the warranty wasn't affected.

As long as the damned thing fits, the connections match up and polarity matches, the starter does not care unless the CA / CCA is insufficient and causes damage to the starter windings. As I said, post a pic of your bus (particularly the nose) and tell me which engine, I can match it up to an equivalent series Navistar truck to get a bit better battery than what it came with.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:04 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Quote:
In a word, if you'll permit the indelicacy and language -- horsesh*t. This is coming from someone who worked an AutoZone parts counter and was fired for making sure people got what they needed. I didn't just hand them an off-the-shelf part and brace myself for the hurricane when they returned, p*ssed off that the part they got wasn't the right one or didn't fit. I have put 850 CCA batteries in a 92 Cavalier 2.2L. And the warranty wasn't affected.

As long as the damned thing fits, the connections match up and polarity matches, the starter does not care unless the CA / CCA is insufficient and causes damage to the starter windings. As I said, post a pic of your bus (particularly the nose) and tell me which engine, I can match it up to an equivalent series Navistar truck to get a bit better battery than what it came with.

No problem at all with directness!!!

I appreciate your help!

I posted the bus pics above, apparently just a moment before you posted this!
Thank you!
Old 11-28-2020, 08:35 PM   #40
Traveling

Sent you a PM with some specs comparing the 31 with your original 8Ds. The bus you have is equivalent to an International 4700/4900 series truck, which was available with the DT530, a bit bigger than your DT466 and likely to have higher-capacity batteries. However, comparing Interstate's 31s to their own 8D-HDs, there is a 28% difference in cranking amperage, in the 8D's favor. I wouldn't trust a 31 in that application. It will fit, but will be weak and under-powered for the load. Cranking speed is everything with a diesel, especially in cold weather.

I believe the 8Ds are going to be as heavy duty as you get without going to the threaded semi-style terminals I've seen on the Class 8 trucks I've driven.