Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2021, 09:09 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2014
Coachwork: Ford e350 cutaway
Chassis: E350
Engine: I don't know
Rated Cap: 9 Passenger, plus driver
Busses up for auction in Phoenix AZ.

Just an fyi
https://sierra.proxibid.com/Sierra-Auction-Management-Inc/Heavy-Equipment-and-Fleet-Vehicles-Phoenix-AZ/event-catalog/195590?srch=&srchloc=true&ipp=100&sort=0

Rainbowlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:42 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
They've got several of the cute "little" B2 buses for sale with super low miles, but they all say they're LPG. Hmmm...
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:21 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2014
Coachwork: Ford e350 cutaway
Chassis: E350
Engine: I don't know
Rated Cap: 9 Passenger, plus driver
This is where I bought my bus. So if you have any questions hmu
Rainbowlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:11 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: MidBus
Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Engine: 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
They've got several of the cute "little" B2 buses for sale with super low miles, but they all say they're LPG. Hmmm...
I thought I saw CNG, not LPG... HUGE difference

They also have a bunch of New Flyer transit buses, both diesel and CNG... But I'm not in the market at this time.
Beirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:24 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I'm seeing "LPG propane"...but for all I know, my search is showing me buses in another auction. I've never used their site, so I'm not real familiar with their interface. But this is what I'm seeing for the B2s
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 7.22.29 AM.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	54452
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:33 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: MidBus
Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Engine: 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 19
interesting. Definitely cute buses!
Beirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:32 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
The Freightliner B2 is Propane fueled. Through their proprietary 8 liter. These are very low mileage buses. BUT. HERE'S THE DEAL. Propane in Arizona per Gallon. $2.75. BUT these buses are equipped with 60 gallon tanks. PROBLEM. The expected range is 300 miles. BUT WORSE. That's 5 mph. Slightly better than a pancake Hall Scott. So I did a cursory review of propane engine longevity. In generators a propane genset is good for 1000 hrs. Whereas a diesel us good for 20,000. So I read some ancedotal testimony where folks claimed propane fueled engines ought to last longer. But there were no tests cited nor anything that was definitive proof.
I liked these till I saw the fuel economy. Hoped I could offset that with "yeah but they need no maintenance and never die."
Well that was a fail. In the Freightliner literature they spoke of cost of fuel savings.
Well if it takes twice as much fuel to go the same distance as a diesel bus. On a good day you're at $5.50 a gallon. And trust me. On a bad day Propane can be $4.25 a gallon. Now you're talking 8.50 to drive 5 miles. These low mileage buses simply cost too much for the district to justify.
I like em. They're cool and they're clean.
But the cost of fuel not to mention the inconvenience? Keep looking. Unless you're just looking for a very cool shed.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:37 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
They're new enough that most bidders are going to be other districts or contractors wanting to keep them in service. For them 15-30 grand for a 6 year old bus is cheap compared to 100k plus for a new one.

Not financially feasible for most skoolie folks and makes little sense. The LPG part also adds to that.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:48 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
They're new enough that most bidders are going to be other districts or contractors wanting to keep them in service. For them 15-30 grand for a 6 year old bus is cheap compared to 100k plus for a new one.

Not financially feasible for most skoolie folks and makes little sense. The LPG part also adds to that.
They are 13 years old. That precludes "other districts" and these will go to one of the hordes of the uninitiated that think they're pretty and think they're perfect. Will buy one for under 8K. Will drive it home with visions of rolling hills and romantic sunsets dancing in their heads. Will start forming floor plans, erecting sticks, break a champagne bottle christening their launch.
And their first post in this forum will be:
Help. Getting 3 MPG....What can I do?
If not that the the Dream Machine will show up in the classifieds:. Fully converted Schoolie for sale. The pictures will be awesome the price tag staggering and the lack of fuel efficiency discreetly not mentioned.

The babbling trickle of Failure.
But we know don't we? This is the stench of nonconformity conforming. Gee. Don't you just love my new Sprinter?