Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Cabinet Carcass Quote

I had a cabinet shop get me a quote for for kitchen cabinet... $450

1) carcass & face frame only (no doors or drawers)
2) shop grade plywood (I will sand & paint)
3) no countertop (I will buy & install)

Does this sound kinda high? Inline or out of line?
I'd still have to get my buddy to build doors & drawers... There's another couple $ hundred, plus another $ hundred or so countertop.

Almost $1000 for a 7' kitchen cabinet seems kinda high to me, but I don't build or buy cabinets!

Old 02-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
I can kind of help. My boss owns a cabinet distribution business and I just ordered some cabinets from one of his competitors to fill an inventory void. Their contractor pricing is 10% less than this. My boss considers this expensive, but he buys cabinets by the container.

For your reference, a two drawer 33" wide 24" deep, 34.5" tall two drawer cabinet (no top) is $372.90 "retail". OR a "sink base" cabinet is $283.14

12" vanity base (between the dishwasher and sink maybe?) is $158.40

And uhh, I don't know what you would call the left two cabinets, but 22" wide cabinets cost around $196.68 for a "21" wide full height base cabinet" or $232.98 for a "21" base cabinet"

So all of these cabinets with no counter tops, with drawers would cost around $850+Tax. Based off this pricing. I can send you the order sheet via email if you'd like.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOLIK View Post
I can kind of help. My boss owns a cabinet distribution business and I just ordered some cabinets from one of his competitors to fill an inventory void. Their contractor pricing is 10% less than this. My boss considers this expensive, but he buys cabinets by the container.

For your reference, a two drawer 33" wide 24" deep, 34.5" tall two drawer cabinet (no top) is $372.90 "retail". OR a "sink base" cabinet is $283.14

12" vanity base (between the dishwasher and sink maybe?) is $158.40

And uhh, I don't know what you would call the left two cabinets, but 22" wide cabinets cost around $196.68 for a "21" wide full height base cabinet" or $232.98 for a "21" base cabinet"

So all of these cabinets with no counter tops, with drawers would cost around $850+Tax. Based off this pricing. I can send you the order sheet via email if you'd like.
Ah, I can see it now.... You're talking about several base units joined together.

I was thinking one solid unit (because it's under 8' plywood length) and having partitions that separate the 2 sink doors, the 4 middle drawers, the dishwasher drawer, and the stove drawer. Then mounting the drawer slides to left & right of partitions.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

This is what I was thinking...

Old 02-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I'm thinkin' Ikea or, since I can screw things(up), one of those "you assemble" cabinet companies. I think they can build to spec.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:05 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

I need to hire this guy, before he loses his fingers on that table saw!
Old 02-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
You could cut that whole face frame out of a sheet of hardwood plywood for $40 or so. Add another sheet or two of B/C plywood for the sides, dividers and bottom (no back) and you've got your base cabinet (minus the drawers and doors) for about $100. Cut your openings with a circular saw. Build a toe kick base out of 2x4 and face it with finished plywood.

If your buddy can make drawers and doors he can probably cut the face frame and build the cabinet too.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:33 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
You could cut that whole face frame out of a sheet of hardwood plywood for $40 or so. Add another sheet or two of B/C plywood for the sides, dividers and bottom (no back) and you've got your base cabinet (minus the drawers and doors) for about $100. Cut your openings with a circular saw. Build a toe kick base out of 2x4 and face it with finished plywood.

If your buddy can make drawers and doors he can probably cut the face frame and build the cabinet too.
He "specializes" in doors...
He sucks at cabinets!
True story

I'm not beyond building them myself.... But, most all my tools are in storage and I'm in a state park till March 1st

Old 02-04-2017, 10:37 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

I need this kid.... Takes me longer to add staples!
Old 02-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
I need this kid.... Takes me longer to add staples!
And that is exactly how they hold together as well. That face frame will eventually start coming apart. That's in a house. You can only imagine being in a bus what kind of punishment they will get. Cabinets are really not difficult even for a total novice. The problem for most folks are the tools needed to do a great job. I once built a set of kitchen cabinets with nothing but a circular saw and router. The key is to have a good arsenal of jigs to set up. I'm getting ready to retire and am thinking about setting up someplace where a skoolie can drive in, park and hook up, while I build their cabinets for a reasonable cost. Cabinetry is the reason why kitchens are so damned expensive. Check out my cabinets that I am doing in BLUTO.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:44 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

I love doing demolition on that type of cabinet. One swing with a crowbar and they SHATTER.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:

I'd still have to get my buddy to build doors & drawers... There's another couple $ hundred, plus another $ hundred or so countertop.

Almost $1000 for a 7' kitchen cabinet seems kinda high to me, but I don't build or buy cabinets!

if thats the case and your tools are in storage. if it is possible i would still just go buy a cheapo $100 table saw and do it yourself. probably would still come out ahead and maybe sell saw back on craigslist half off. they might build them for house style and not for a custom application like a bus. I've seen a lot of videos on this subject and the easiest thing i can say is to just frame out your cabinets with 2X4s in your bus and then build a quick face frame with a drill and a $30 kreg joiner. it'll look just as nice and be 1/2 the price!
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
BurlKing is right. Although I don't think I would use 2x4's. That is a lot of added weight you don't necessarily need. The problem that I usually have is I over engineer everything. The kreg pocket screws are great but you have know way of making sure your stiles & rails are square and properly diminished. You would have to have a joiner to accomplish that. If you buy your lumber from Lowes or Home Depot, then you wind up paying way too much for the material. It is definitely a problem if you don't have the right tools. Maybe I should just outfit a trailer and travel around building cabinets for some of my fellow SKOOLIES.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
if thats the case and your tools are in storage. if it is possible i would still just go buy a cheapo $100 table saw and do it yourself. probably would still come out ahead and maybe sell saw back on craigslist half off. they might build them for house style and not for a custom application like a bus. I've seen a lot of videos on this subject and the easiest thing i can say is to just frame out your cabinets with 2X4s in your bus and then build a quick face frame with a drill and a $30 kreg joiner. it'll look just as nice and be 1/2 the price!
Hell, I've been using an 8' X 2' shop bench since July... Six 4x4 posts, and a middle shelf that I built... Makes a great counter, and my stove/oven is even set into it! And if I'd had any idea I'd be needing the cabinets for a bus, I'd have built it different. As it is, my 2x4 frame is set too narrow down the sides for a sink, or I'd just side it with cedar, make some doors and call it good. Also, it's a foot too long.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:58 PM   #15
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
if thats the case and your tools are in storage. if it is possible i would still just go buy a cheapo $100 table saw and do it yourself.

No, don't get the cheap saw. With stationary power tools, the larger, the safer. Go on Craigs- advertise what you want. Old cast iron is good, just make sure is single phase, or cheap-enough to toss a new 120V 1Ø motor on- ez (unless you have a VFD) Rockwell, Delta are good bets- these aren't technological marvels. Ues it, sell it for same= free rental.

Light, low-power saws jam or tip, heavier more powerful saws will cruise right through it. Get a good blade- freud 80 tooth would be good.

like this

Don't buy hardwood from Lowes HD. lookup local sawmill and you will get Black Walnut for the price of red oak. Menards isn't terrible for small quantities.

Use the Kregs with proper screws. They sell wood plugs all ready to fill screwholes. $5/50
Plugs
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:30 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
BurlKing is right. Although I don't think I would use 2x4's. That is a lot of added weight you don't necessarily need. The problem that I usually have is I over engineer everything. The kreg pocket screws are great but you have know way of making sure your stiles & rails are square and properly diminished. You would have to have a joiner to accomplish that. If you buy your lumber from Lowes or Home Depot, then you wind up paying way too much for the material. It is definitely a problem if you don't have the right tools. Maybe I should just outfit a trailer and travel around building cabinets for some of my fellow SKOOLIES.
I am having the hardest time finding a quality carpenter! I ended up getting IKEA cabinets for my kitchen, but have been looking for someone to build the two couches that I want... I'd hire someone that travels!!

Sandi
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:

I would jump on that price like there is no tomorrow! That is a very fair price!

I price compared with the company that I get all of my cabinets from when not doing custom work, and their price for each of the components, or as close as I could come to what you have listed, is about $1400. This includes the cost of drawers and doors though. The company I use is Barker Cabinets and Doors - they are great to work with but their lead time can be a bit long. I typically cannot beat their price building them myself.

https://www.barkercabinets.com

Click for large view
- Uploaded with Skitch
Old 02-06-2017, 09:46 PM   #18
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
I am having the hardest time finding a quality carpenter! I ended up getting IKEA cabinets for my kitchen, but have been looking for someone to build the two couches that I want... I'd hire someone that travels!!

Sandi
I am a finish carpenter and will be in the Tampa area sometime in early to mid April. I would be happy to travel to you and take care of what you are needing. Sounds pretty straightforward. Shoot me a message when you have time and lets trade contact info.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Table saws and Kreg jigs are wonderful tools but you don't need them to make a cabinet. I made mine out of oak plywood. Use a circular saw and a straight edge to cut out the door and drawer openings. Use wood cleats or some aluminum angle to attach the sides and bottom. Instead of cutting a toe kick into the front of the cabinet just build a 2x4 base and screw the cabinet to it. Cut doors and drawer fronts from the same plywood. Finish it all with some polyurethane and you've got some light, solid (and cheap) cabinets. These cabs will far outlast the cheap particle board ones, particularly in a bus.

All the cabinets in the pictures are three-sided boxes. The kitchen counter and upper cabinets have a front, a bottom and a right end panel. Those two attach to the upright cab which acts as a left end panel. The upright cabinet has a front and two side panels with two permanent shelves to add some stiffness. All are attached to the wall with angle brackets and 4 years down the road they're still rock solid.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:10 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i think you could do about the same with prefabbed cabinets and a counter top from a big box store.

i paid way too much for my cabinets, 3 cabinets, self closing hardware, birch wood faces to match my interior, a corian countertop, a matching coffee table, stove and sink ran a bit over $6k. it was 10 or 12 feet or so. all ordered from the big box and installed.

by the time i got to the kitchen i was burnt out on building. ordering the finished cabinets made quick work of that section of the bus.

my upper cabinets were cut out with a skill saw and finished with a jigsaw.