Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2018, 10:17 PM   #1
Bus Nut

CAD drawings generated automatically

Is there some program or app that will let me input digital camera photos of my bus and develop CAD drawings from the photos - 3D? I am hoping it is something more simple (and less expensive) than Autocad.

pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:35 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Use Google Sketch Up. It is free and you can most likely download a free file of your bus or something really close.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:55 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
Is there some program or app that will let me input digital camera photos of my bus and develop CAD drawings from the photos - 3D? I am hoping it is something more simple (and less expensive) than Autocad.
A student version of Autocad can be downloaded free. Autodesk Architecture can be downloaded free too, and it's got 3D objects (furniture, walls, appliances, etc.) that are drag-and-drop. The problem with Autodesk isn't the price, it's that if you don't already know it, it's difficult for most people to learn. It's not all that user-friendly. Google Sketchup is free and easier to learn, IMO.

FWIW I created a 3D model of our bus in Autodesk Architecture, and while it sorta helped us roughly plan our build, we found good old fashioned graph paper and (to scale) paper cutouts of furniture/appliances to be more useful. In the end, though, the bus itself ended up telling us how to build it. Once we started putting the physical objects in the bus, we found out what would work and how, exactly, it would all go together.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:40 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
A student version of Autocad can be downloaded free. Autodesk Architecture can be downloaded free too, and it's got 3D objects (furniture, walls, appliances, etc.) that are drag-and-drop. The problem with Autodesk isn't the price, it's that if you don't already know it, it's difficult for most people to learn. It's not all that user-friendly. Google Sketchup is free and easier to learn, IMO.

FWIW I created a 3D model of our bus in Autodesk Architecture, and while it sorta helped us roughly plan our build, we found good old fashioned graph paper and (to scale) paper cutouts of furniture/appliances to be more useful. In the end, though, the bus itself ended up telling us how to build it. Once we started putting the physical objects in the bus, we found out what would work and how, exactly, it would all go together.
Just found this thread? Was already wanting to say sketch pad and strait edge but you have already said it.
I used cardboard boxes stacked and or taped together to mimick beds,sofa,chair, etc to show/prove to my architect at the time wife how her paper dimensions actually worked or didn't in the actual space? Lay out and Furniture dimensions changed but we made everything including the couch coushion and bedding.
It was just figuring out what could,would fit where.
The actual cardboard box layout changed my wife's mind from CAD or whatever into visualizing the actual space. This was with the bus in the drive way and we could go out and move the cardboard furniture around as we talked/debated an idea.
Commercial construction has paid my bill's since 1996 and I can guarantee that no dimension on a sheet of paper is ever going to match the exact space that you have to work with unless the space is already built and you build to the space's dimension to create what you want.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote