Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 22
Calling All My Tall People

Anyone over 6ft... did you do a roof raise? Do you regret not doing one?
Iím 6ft and my husband is 6í2Ē. Our bus has the slightly higher roof. We have about 2-4 inches above our heads but havenít put in insulation or floors or anything yet. Just trying to get opinions about doing it... donít want it to be 2 years later and we really regret that we didnít try to do it. However I will say that we donít have a hefty supply of tools nor endless money... so is it worth it??

Thanks in advance!
maverick20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:52 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
tugboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Palmer, AK
Posts: 279
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32í
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick20 View Post
Anyone over 6ft... did you do a roof raise? Do you regret not doing one?
I’m 6ft and my husband is 6’2”. Our bus has the slightly higher roof. We have about 2-4 inches above our heads but haven’t put in insulation or floors or anything yet. Just trying to get opinions about doing it... don’t want it to be 2 years later and we really regret that we didn’t try to do it. However I will say that we don’t have a hefty supply of tools nor endless money... so is it worth it??

Thanks in advance!
So I have a higher roofed Thomas. I'm 75.5" tall, & am not doing a roof raise. Just wanted to share my experience & thoughts so far.

My bus, from the steel floor to the bottom of the rib in the center is 78". A foot from the wall is a couple inches less. My subfloor is 1.5" XPS & 5/8" ply. From the top of the ply to the center of the rib I now have 76". After we put in finish flooring and a ceiling I'll be just able to touch the ceiling with the top of my head, bare footed. I am not at all worried about it. Nobody walks at full height, or at least I don't. I've also worked on boats with lower ceilings my whole career & have learned that after a couple bonks of the head or shoulder, you automatically adjust. I have zero worries about not doing a raise. That doesn't mean I wouldn't do a raise if I wanted to or don't think about it. I just know I"ll be fine with our decision not to, even if I kinda wish we did sometime down the road. After watching several progressions on here I don't think it would be beyond most average skill sets...which is what I consider mine to be. If you are on the fence...research it more! I kinda like the compact nature & simplicity of our bus the way it is. There will be plenty of space to stretch on the outside of the bus!

You ask , is it worth it? I'm sure that few regret doing one...most folks on here seem thrilled that they chose to do one. Except maybe not the one that just had the roof fall during the raise. I feel bad for that guy. I'm sure they'll figure it out.
__________________
One...slow...step...at a time.
tugboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:49 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboater View Post
So I have a higher roofed Thomas. I'm 75.5" tall, & am not doing a roof raise. Just wanted to share my experience & thoughts so far.

My bus, from the steel floor to the bottom of the rib in the center is 78". A foot from the wall is a couple inches less. My subfloor is 1.5" XPS & 5/8" ply. From the top of the ply to the center of the rib I now have 76". After we put in finish flooring and a ceiling I'll be just able to touch the ceiling with the top of my head, bare footed. I am not at all worried about it. Nobody walks at full height, or at least I don't. I've also worked on boats with lower ceilings my whole career & have learned that after a couple bonks of the head or shoulder, you automatically adjust. I have zero worries about not doing a raise. That doesn't mean I wouldn't do a raise if I wanted to or don't think about it. I just know I"ll be fine with our decision not to, even if I kinda wish we did sometime down the road. After watching several progressions on here I don't think it would be beyond most average skill sets...which is what I consider mine to be. If you are on the fence...research it more! I kinda like the compact nature & simplicity of our bus the way it is. There will be plenty of space to stretch on the outside of the bus!

You ask , is it worth it? I'm sure that few regret doing one...most folks on here seem thrilled that they chose to do one. Except maybe not the one that just had the roof fall during the raise. I feel bad for that guy. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

Thank you! That is some great input! I also felt like if we wanted to stretch we could just go outside! Iíve just heard so many people wish that they had done the roof raise so that was on my mind. If we had gotten an average height bus, I think we definitely would have had to do it but those extra 3-4Ē really make a difference. Thanks for you input!
maverick20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,313
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I am 5'8", my bus had about 76" headroom before I raised the roof 10".

Raising the roof adds a perception of space that is surprising. It makes the bus seem much larger inside.

It also makes space for some upper cabinets with nice usable space.


If I were building a weekend camper I probably would not bother but for something that I am going to be living in for months at a time I want to be as comfortable as possible.

That is the great thing about Skoolie's. Each of us gets to build it to suit what each individual wants.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:44 AM   #5
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 297
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboater View Post
So I have a higher roofed Thomas. I'm 75.5" tall, & am not doing a roof raise. Just wanted to share my experience & thoughts so far.

My bus, from the steel floor to the bottom of the rib in the center is 78". A foot from the wall is a couple inches less. My subfloor is 1.5" XPS & 5/8" ply. From the top of the ply to the center of the rib I now have 76". After we put in finish flooring and a ceiling I'll be just able to touch the ceiling with the top of my head, bare footed. I am not at all worried about it. Nobody walks at full height, or at least I don't. I've also worked on boats with lower ceilings my whole career & have learned that after a couple bonks of the head or shoulder, you automatically adjust. I have zero worries about not doing a raise. That doesn't mean I wouldn't do a raise if I wanted to or don't think about it. I just know I"ll be fine with our decision not to, even if I kinda wish we did sometime down the road. After watching several progressions on here I don't think it would be beyond most average skill sets...which is what I consider mine to be. If you are on the fence...research it more! I kinda like the compact nature & simplicity of our bus the way it is. There will be plenty of space to stretch on the outside of the bus!

You ask , is it worth it? I'm sure that few regret doing one...most folks on here seem thrilled that they chose to do one. Except maybe not the one that just had the roof fall during the raise. I feel bad for that guy. I'm sure they'll figure it out.
Who is the guy that had the roof fall?? Never heard of this
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #6
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,030
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
Who is the guy that had the roof fall?? Never heard of this
Current thread:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/he...ise-26874.html
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:26 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
tugboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Palmer, AK
Posts: 279
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32í
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

Raising the roof adds a perception of space that is surprising. It makes the bus seem much larger inside.

It also makes space for some upper cabinets with nice usable space.

Canít argue with any of what you have to say Steve. The usable cabinet space is what I think we might miss more than the lack of headroom.
__________________
One...slow...step...at a time.
tugboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
CaptSquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 1,261
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I've got a Thomas Saf-T-Liner and I'm 74" tall.Got plenty of headroom.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:13 AM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,723
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Raising the roof adds a perception of space that is surprising. It makes the bus seem much larger inside.
It does indeed. I went to visit ShayMcQuay's roof raise to see how it was done. I was amased how cavernous it made the space.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:50 AM   #10
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 21,474
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
It does indeed. I went to visit ShayMcQuay's roof raise to see how it was done. I was amased how cavernous it made the space.
This is what I copied




I'd be a bit more careful skinning than other folks, though. I see LOTS of oil canning on almost every skin job. Usually its due to using steel that's too thin.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:48 AM   #11
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,265
Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
This is what I copied




I'd be a bit more careful skinning than other folks, though. I see LOTS of oil canning on almost every skin job. Usually its due to using steel that's too thin.
I think this is the 3rd time I've watched these videos and each time I learn something more - a person doesn't always see and understand something the first time around, but as your background knowledge grows, you're able to see subtleties that you didn't pick up on at first - this time around, I paid more attention to how the bus frame sagged after the first cut behind the drivers seat and that could have a bearing on a modification I'd like to do
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #12
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 21,474
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I think this is the 3rd time I've watched these videos and each time I learn something more - a person doesn't always see and understand something the first time around, but as your background knowledge grows, you're able to see subtleties that you didn't pick up on at first - this time around, I paid more attention to how the bus frame sagged after the first cut behind the drivers seat and that could have a bearing on a modification I'd like to do
I braced for the front sagging. Didn't experience ANY.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:24 PM   #13
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,265
Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I braced for the front sagging. Didn't experience ANY.
yeah, l figured that's what would have to be done - have all wheels on something solid would likely be best - solid and level
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:13 PM   #14
Bus Crazy
 
Ronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,487
Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I am 5'9" and have a 78" roof, this I am happy with.

I have been in standard height buses, including a shorty we just got, and have to say I keep ducking in a standard height bus. So if we build the shorty it will get a roof raise.
Ronnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:34 PM   #15
Bus Crazy
 
Drew Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Minnehaha Co., SD
Posts: 1,025
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
I'm 6'1 and we've got a high headroom bus, I think it was 78" from metal floor to ceiling. We've got 1" insulation under 3/4" wood subfloor and wood laminate floor on top of that. Our ceiling is built up by an inch or so. I can walk pretty much the entire bus and not feel uncomfortable, there's around 3 inches of headroom in the center.
__________________
Our Build: https://dazzlingbluebus.wordpress.com/
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:08 PM   #16
Almost There
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 80
Year: 2006
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 6.6 LLY Duramax
Rated Cap: 15
6'2" here. In the center I have a couple inches and have no problems at all. No roof raise, though I do have a short bus which means not much walking.

Edit: forgot to add I'm using the factory floor.
Epomethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
raise, roof, tall, tall owner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×