Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Ward?
Engine: 8.2 liter ?
Rated Cap: 24 Passenger
Campgrounds and skoolie conversions

I just read some campgrounds may not allow skoolie conversion so???

Is this true?

Ross

rossfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:49 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
yes alot of private parks dont, most state parks do
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:32 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfree View Post

Is this true?

Ross
Buying a school bus, to me, is to get away from civilization. Why would you want to deal with parks where your neighbor would be few inches away from you. Someone can fart in the middle of night, and whole neighborhood will be awakened, to hunt down offender.

Get yourself a decent water filtration system, emergency food supplies in case you can't find an edible food source, and warm blankets. I hear snakes are slow and dumb creature, it requires minimal effort catch some, and it provides valuable source of nutrition. Better yet, they're plentiful in North American soil. It really don't need be complicated.

What else would you need to enjoy the wonderful gift of life you're granted by your creator?
kwang_yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:59 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwang_yi View Post
Buying a school bus, to me, is to get away from civilization. Why would you want to deal with parks where your neighbor would be few inches away from you. Someone can fart in the middle of night, and whole neighborhood will be awakened, to hunt down offender.

Get yourself a decent water filtration system, emergency food supplies in case you can't find an edible food source, and warm blankets. I hear snakes are slow and dumb creature, it requires minimal effort catch some, and it provides valuable source of nutrition. Better yet, they're plentiful in North American soil. It really don't need be complicated.

What else would you need to enjoy the wonderful gift of life you're granted by your creator?
You HEAR snakes are slow and dumb and it requires minimal effort to some?
Don't go by what you hear. If you don't have experience or were never taught how to clean and cook a snake then leave them alone.
Only the one that catches/kills the snake can say if it can be eaten or not. Most poisonous snakes are edible and some can be tasty. But if killed by whatever Meen's and given the chance most poisonous snakes will bite there'selves which poisons the meat you are preparing to eat. If you do go this route good luck and pay attention and educate yourself better before you use this as an option.
You better have your mess together before you think a snake is slow?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:13 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

actually, I was bitten by a rattle snake once while trying to clear-up bushes. You know the rest of story, because so many people were bitten by one of those creature and they usually don't silence their venture.

I was fed with snake salad once before by a co-worker, I hear people in Montana or somewhere around their uses snake meat to supplement their nutritional needs. It's pointless to argue if snake can be dangerous as even babbling child knows to danger of reptiles. Snakes are one of the least intelligent creatures, what else do you expect from an animal whose brain size is so unfairly proportionated compare to whole body mass? If you're without self-confidence that you can not out run snakes, my suggestion is to exercise. Go out and run, excessive computing is no good.

Look at it this way. When Paris was under seizure during Franco-Prussian wars, Parisian consumed anything that crawls over ground and sometime dig dirt to find anything added to be a source of nutrient. History tells me that there was not a single living cat or dog or rat in Paris in that time. I'd much rather consume snake than a family pet, which most people will do first when they're faced with starvation.

You see, no creature are more cultivated as hypocrite than human being.

As for you, I'll make an exception. You can start hoard beans as nothing is more economical while providing necessary protein to sustain your life. You must do your part too, that is, you'll need to study how beans are traditionally prepared so that you don't constantly exhaust huge amount of unpleasant gases around your friends/family.
kwang_yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:07 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfree View Post

Is this true?

Ross
I have heard the same but have never been turned away.
We have been put in the back corner of some RV parks before. But we don't really fit in with the RV park crowd anyway.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:59 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Like most things in life it likely depends on how you and your bus look.
If it looks like you're on the way to a rainbow gathering, campgrounds may not want to deal with it.
The campgrounds around here aren't for families or travelers they are for retired rich folks from up north when they come down for winter.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #8
Bus Geek

I agree with CB, if you look bad and have a bad attitude it will reflect poorly

so far we have been the highlight of campgrounds and have literally given a thousand tours, and we are not the best looking bus up close
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:11 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post

so far we have been the highlight of campgrounds and have literally given a thousand tours, and we are not the best looking bus up close
Same here, every campout is a treat We wind up with most of the kids in camp playing bus driver.....Me too! Last year we had a BD party for Mary and a friend and wound up with a bunch of kids joining in...cake, ice cream, piņata and all.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:41 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E International
Rated Cap: 72
We just got jobs as camp hosts on the Mirror Lake Highway in Utah for summer 2016, so there's going to be at least one skoolie in our campground all summer long, and we certainly won't be turning others away
VeldatheWonderbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:25 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Hey Velda, know any other campgrounds in Utah that need a skoolie host? We'd love to have a camp host position in that area.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:33 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E International
Rated Cap: 72
It looks like they have quite a few openings in Utah still - check out American Land & Leisure - Utah Workamping and fill out their on-line application. Good luck! Hopefully we'll see you out there!
VeldatheWonderbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
The only one that HASN'T turned me down is KOA. But, KOA charges dearly. I was quoted >$1K for 27 days.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:37 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Man, its like... whats the point?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:43 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Have any of you tried those hobby gold panning associations? They have places you can go camp/pan all over the country. For about $80 a year you can use these places. I don't know their specific rules but my understanding is they let you camp any way you like to camp.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:28 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
If you're in town go park by the school district's bus barn. It's kind of risky parking by a school unless you want a free paint job.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #17
Bus Nut

I don't yet have a bus, but I have stayed in campgrounds. I have noticed that some do not allow rv's over a certain length - maybe 30, 35 or 40...I have always thought that this was because of the design of the campground - i.e. narrow roads, tight turns, etc.
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Robin, my problem is trying to find a place to park ON A PERMANENT BASIS. I do believe I have found one, but will constantly be on the lookout for one that is less expensive than $450/mo.

Parking by the school district bus barn is moreso risky. The district contracts the bus services to a company called First Student, Inc. That would make it PRIVATE PROPERTY and, if I park on the city streets, I'm in violation of the city ordnances regarding camping within city limits.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Yes...and Wally's world is only for 7 hours or so at a time. ;) The Fed bur. of land management, I think, limits stays to 30 days at a time - I think free - but if you park in a remote enough spot, no one will check.
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

In Montana, pengyou, EVERYTHING is remote!