Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Can a King sized bed fit in a bus?

Hello fellow skoolies. Has anyone ever tried fitting a king sized bed in their bus before? We don't mind having our bedroom literally just a giant bed with shelves above us.

I ask because we invested in a king sized bed about 6 months ago, a really nice one, and would rather just keep using it when we move into our bus, since I imagine selling a used bed is difficult, and certainly don't think we could get back what we spent on it.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

chickadee020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Nice idea. Honestly I think I'd go with a set of twin beds pushed together.

If you can get it through the door you've got it made.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 71
Unless I am mistaken, a king size bed is 76" x 80". So... it "should" have no problem fitting once it's inside but there won't be much room left over around it.

A king size bed can use two extra long twin box springs side by side as base and those would be a lot easier to move inside than a large king size rigid box spring. Most mattresses are pretty flexible so I would think you could get that inside too. Maybe not the easiest thing but certainly plausible.
Rengald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I'm not sure if you mean "fit through the door" (which door?) or simply "fit flat down on the floor" once it's inside.

Lots of people have a queen bed oriented so the head and feet are toward the bus sides. My Blue Bird is something like 90 inches wide on the inside, before adding insulation etc to the interior of the wall, so there is as much as 10 inches extra for fitting an 80" tall mattress. King is the same height and so would fit the same way; it'd just take more length in the front-to-back direction of the bus.

Obviously if the king-size bed is shared and arranged across the width of the bus there'll be some climbing over one another for midnight snacks or bathroom trips, so consider whether there'll be any objection to that. If you laid on it along the length of the bus then you couldn't roll out sideways off the bed, which may or may not be problematic depending on physical condition (agility, flexibility, weight, strength, whatever).
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:33 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

The bed has these two (twin sized) base pieces, so at least that part is covered. I was excited about the idea of being able to store stuff underneath the bed, but I may be asking for too much here.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you for the info and thoughts, family wagon! I'm relieved to hear you think we could get it through the door. And as far as thinking about long-ways versus sideways is definitely good food for thought as well.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:57 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
As others have said: Yes it will fit once you have it inside provided you don't mind not having space to move around the sides.

As far as getting it inside, that can be a challenge. I have replaced two mattresses in RV's lately (last two years). One of them had a queen mattress that we had to cut apart to get it out of the bedroom.

Fortunately for me I found a VERY easy to "install" replacement mattress. It is a "Gel" memory foam mattress. Probably the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on. Not only that but it arrived "vacuum packed" and fit very easily through the doors. Unpacked easily. We simply cut open & removed the vacuum bag and let the memory foam recover its shape.

I have been sleeping on one of those nightly for almost two years and still love it. It is more comfortable than my old $1100 mattress at less than 1/3 the price.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:33 PM   #8

Ive had success with using multiple ratchet straps around a mattress to squeeze it through tight spots.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:29 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Can you tell us where you got the mattress ??? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
As others have said: Yes it will fit once you have it inside provided you don't mind not having space to move around the sides.

As far as getting it inside, that can be a challenge. I have replaced two mattresses in RV's lately (last two years). One of them had a queen mattress that we had to cut apart to get it out of the bedroom.

Fortunately for me I found a VERY easy to "install" replacement mattress. It is a "Gel" memory foam mattress. Probably the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on. Not only that but it arrived "vacuum packed" and fit very easily through the doors. Unpacked easily. We simply cut open & removed the vacuum bag and let the memory foam recover its shape.

I have been sleeping on one of those nightly for almost two years and still love it. It is more comfortable than my old $1100 mattress at less than 1/3 the price.
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:18 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
A little bit off topic, but not much...
My queen mattress & box springs is turned cross ways in my bus.

I spanned 3 or 4- 6" wide C-Purlins across the chair rails... Couldn't be happier! Solid and no squeaks.
This way, nothing was permanent.

I was in Walmart a couple nights ago, and they had those memory foam mattresses made by Zunis.
They seemed very affordable and had good reviews.
If I went to that, I could still use my C-Purlins and just add an 2x2 angle iron ledge at the height I wanted.

Still apprehensive about buying a memory foam mattress... What if I don't like it or it makes my back worse?!?!

Edit; just called my local Walmart, spoke to customer service... She said there's no extra policy for memory foam mattresses, and I could return it within 90 days as long as I kept my receipt. I even pointed out it's vacuum compressed in a box, and would be returned uncompressed... She said no problem.

C-Purlin:
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #11

So... did it fit?!
Palmers_Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:41 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 idi
Sure it would. With zero walk around space. Only climb over
Greatestrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmers_Paradise View Post
So... did it fit?!
Hey Palmers_Paradise,

We are still in the beginning stages of renovation, so have not had the pleasure of shoving our bed into the bus yet. Charlie Kern who is doing the conversion for us says the bed will fit though, so that's reassuring.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #14
Bus Nut

You can deal with the "walk around" in a couple of ways. If the bedroom is in the very rear of the bus, there is no need to walk around because there is nothing at the rear of the bus, with the exception of the exit. You can also reinforce one side of the bus and make a murphy bed. When you don't need the bed, the bed would flip up and stand against the wall. If you do this, you can make a flip down desk, counter, etc against the other wall. When you are sleeping, the bed will be down on the floor. When you are not sleeping, the bed will flip up against the wall and you can flip down your desk to do your work.
https://www.google.com/search?q=murp...dbQaRH4Dsl_jM:
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:44 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
A king-sized bed will NOT convert into a Murphy bed. The bed is wider than the bus is tall.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #16
Traveling

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
A king-sized bed will NOT convert into a Murphy bed. The bed is wider than the bus is tall.
All depends on how tall your bus is...

Click image for larger version

Name:	us_bed_sizes (1).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	16249

Click image for larger version

Name:	bustedd.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	16250
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:22 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
On a non-raised roof, unless the mattress ONLY is on the floor, the bed may turn into a Murphy bed. However, they are talking about the foundation AND the mattress and, more than likely, a pedestal on which the foundations are resting, the King-sized bed WILL NOT be capable of being turned into a Murphy bed. And remember, the side walls are not the same height as center bus.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:21 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Well...there are always really nice inflatable beds now. I have a twin that is more comfortable than many regular mattresses I have slept on.
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
Well...there are always really nice inflatable beds now. I have a twin that is more comfortable than many regular mattresses I have slept on.

I have a single air mattress that I toss on the floor of my bus when I want to run a 1500 milke roasd trip withoiut a hotel night.. when inflated it is 18 inches tall and sleeps wonderfully.!!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Can you tell us where you got the mattress ??? Thanks.
Walmart's website.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bedroom, fitting, king sized bed, shelves, size