Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60
Can I change wheel types easily?

If I was looking at a bus with the wayne type wheels (I think I have that right?)

Could they be changed to the other type of wheels easily enough?
Are they hassle enough to bother doing it?
I thought I read somewhere that they are really difficult to remove, and many truck and tire places aren't set up to mount tires on these type of wheels. Is that right?

dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Skoolie

Re: Can I change wheel types easily?

whoops. Holy huge picture batman!
The type of wheel with the bolts on the outside, like you see on this bus, is the type I thought was called the "wayne" wheel.

This is the other type, that any truck tire place can do, right?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Bus Nut

spoke wheels are Dayton wheels, the disc wheels are either stud piloted "Budd", or hub piloted wheels, of which none are interchangeable without changing the wheel hub and brake drum assembly.
the other difference is the choice between tube type and tubeless wheels/tires. tube type wheels will be of multi piece design and usually are considered to be a construction/off road application, while the tubeless tires use 1 piece disc type wheel and considered highway tires.

they all have advantages and disadvantages, mostly driven by application and opinion as well as cost. availability of tires,tubes and service should not be a problem anywhere in the US. Generally tubeless tires are more expensive but have lower associated labor costs, while tube type tures are less expensive but require tubes and flaps and require more labor and skill to service.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

I wanted to do the same thing. Damn those bud wheels look sweet. Yeah, its not just a simple tire and rim change. You need to change the hub and drum as well. And if you find used parts, how will you guarantee the drums are any good? It sure wouldn't be worth buying new drums.

I'm a transit bus mechanic by trade and I would be doing all the work myself and even then it would not be worth it. But trust me I'm still very tempted.

I wanted to put the 5 hole bud wheel on my bus. But the 5 hole wheels are for the 10R size tires. The pictures of the bud wheels you posted are the 2 hole bud wheels that are for the 11R size tires. My bus has the 11R's, so I would have to go with the 2 hole style. Doesn't look as good as the 5 hole. But its better than the Dayton "spoke" style.
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:35 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

You can swap easily to tubeless tires on a Dayton (the clamp style) wheel, but you will have to buy new wheels. Otherwise, as was stated, you're looking at A LOT of work and money to swap to Budds.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
Skoolie

Should I even be concerned with availability of places to have tire repairs done, or new tires put on?
If it's not generally a problem finding places to work on them, then I guess I will let it go, and not worry which the bus has. i can get simulators to cover them up if it bothers me what they look like, right?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #7
Skoolie

Ok, so this is a Budd type:

This is a Dayton:

So, even with the Dayton style in the front, the Budd style will be in the rear.
If we were trying to improve the looks of the thing, we could get a different set of wheels for the back, and simulators for the front.

This is hypothetical, of course, because the cost of this will probably be almost as much as the bus.
But, in the future, when it's time for tires, it could be a consideration, when I can get some used wheels with tires from a local wrecker of big trucks.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

The rear will be Daytons as well. The only time I've seen them mix and match styles is on grain trucks, dump trucks, etc that have had an old lift axle retrofitted in place.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:25 PM   #9
Bus Nut

that disc whell is actually a hub piloted wheel, the wheel is centered by the tabs on the hub inide the center hole in the wheel and the lugnuts have a flat integral washer on the mating surface with the wheel.

Budd wheels are piloted/centered by the studs and tapered surfaces on the nuts, 3/4'' studs R or L thread dependant on the side of the vehicle, 1 1/2 inch tapered hex nut for the steers/single wheels, tapered stud/nut with 3/4 square drive for the inner dual wheels and a 1 1/2 tapered hex nut for the outer wheels
only 6 different types of nuts just to install your tires and a special budd socket to install all of that different hardware.

the inner wheels/nuts have to be installed and torqued before the outer wheels can be installed, then hope that the inner nuts never breakloose and spin before the outer nuts are off
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
Skoolie

Errr.. wow. This sounds interesting.
I can see I have a LOT to learn.