Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2022, 09:39 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Can I remove this triangle piece?

Okay. Sometimes it feels like a dumb question but I've come to my supportive community on this one. I've done most of the demolition on my bus but I don't know if I can remove this triangle piece. I have a rear end. Can someone tell me what it's for and what it protects? Just trying to get some ideas on my floorplan and if I need to work around this piece.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220907_225449991.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	67942

BusBae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:49 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
That should, most likely, be the air intake for the engine. You can remove that and route intake air to the engine through another path, but it will take some investigation to see where you can move the intake to and what your options are. But don't just remove and seal that off, or you'll starve the engine of air.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 12:56 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I'm curious to see how others have navigated this part or around it. I can't seem to find any references. Maybe I'm searching for the wrong thing? I definitely don't want to screw anything up.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:07 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Here’s one.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/r...ake-33612.html

I use google to search skoolie.net.

Skoolie.net air intake
Or
Skoolie.net international re air intake

I have not had much luck using the search function on the website.

[emoji3522]Dave
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:52 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Intake Relocation

Several members have deleted the engine air intakes & relocated them lower. (The factory design leaks water inside the walls.)

This is Mel Wade.

Check out Mel's conversion here:
www.skoolie.net/florida-build-amtram-2003-re**within the thread is a post by Ewo1. To learn more about the leaky intakes, follow his link, too.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 03:44 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
That's not just intake air for the engine. It also allows for COOLING air flow over the engine and then past the radiator.
They can be removed but you need to provide ample air flow for engine cooling if you do.
We've considered moving the intake screens down to the engine access doors on each lower side (we have intake screens on both sides) but have decided to instead leave them where they are and convert the area between them into a "garage" for things we won't need on a frequent basis.....welder, plasma torch, 5 gallon water jug if we have to lug fresh water rather than use a hose, the bulk of tools, etc.

Buses are built with screens high as well as low with the higher ones probably allowing less road dirt and grime into the engine bay. Our bus has high screens on both sides and the air intake down low on the right side of the engine bay with the filter being dropped down from under the bus after removing a few bolts.

Remove them if you like but don't JUST provide intake air, be sure to provide the same amount of area for cooling air in a location that will be effective in cooling the engine.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 07:49 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
Several members have deleted the engine air intakes & relocated them lower. (The factory design leaks water inside the walls.)

This is Mel Wade.

Check out Mel's conversion here:
www.skoolie.net/florida-build-amtram-2003-re**within the thread is a post by Ewo1. To learn more about the leaky intakes, follow his link, too.
You guys are awesome. I actually saw Mel had a video but he didn't go any further than basically that photo so it's hard to know what exactly people did. I'm extremely visual. But I never saw his thread so I appreciate it!
Old 09-11-2022, 07:59 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
That's not just intake air for the engine. It also allows for COOLING air flow over the engine and then past the radiator.
They can be removed but you need to provide ample air flow for engine cooling if you do.
We've considered moving the intake screens down to the engine access doors on each lower side (we have intake screens on both sides) but have decided to instead leave them where they are and convert the area between them into a "garage" for things we won't need on a frequent basis.....welder, plasma torch, 5 gallon water jug if we have to lug fresh water rather than use a hose, the bulk of tools, etc.

Buses are built with screens high as well as low with the higher ones probably allowing less road dirt and grime into the engine bay. Our bus has high screens on both sides and the air intake down low on the right side of the engine bay with the filter being dropped down from under the bus after removing a few bolts.

Remove them if you like but don't JUST provide intake air, be sure to provide the same amount of area for cooling air in a location that will be effective in cooling the engine.
This is helpful I'm thinking now IF I do keep it higher, maybe an S shaped pipe would work well enough to modify it closer to a rear wall or something that way it still allows me to use the majority of the space and move the pipe and vent
Old 09-14-2022, 09:33 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post

One of the most common mistakes that people make when doing this sort of repurposing is failing to understand the engineering behind things like that. Our Re AmTrans has an intake on both sides. To allow even more airflow around the engine compartment. We closed that deck between them in and put our outside unit of our mini split there.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
demolition, floorplan, help me, ideas