Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-20-2021, 10:12 AM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 8
Canít decide

I have two buses Iím looking at a 2003 GMC savanna 3500 with 208mi 6.0 v8 gas for 29,000 some solar no bathroom, stove and small water tanks. The other is a 2009 Chevy express 3500 6.0 v8 gas with around 150,000 mi and good amount of solar plus bathroom and extras etc. for 48,000....both would come with maintenance records and have recently been inspected. Is there a difference between the gmc and Chevy? How hard would it be to get the cheaper one to conversion status of the other one? Thanks for any advice !

Nurselife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:26 AM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Miami, Fl.
Posts: 554
Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E-Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurselife View Post
for 48,000....
Wait a minute.... are you saying $48,000 for both or is that a typo?

At $48 grand...walk away...no run !!!!!


Btw, Chevy and gmc are the same thing....
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:40 AM   #3
Bus Nut
 
DeMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Florida
Posts: 278
Coachwork: International Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Sounds like you have not found anything to choose from. But they saw you.

Save money, buy a new 2021 GMC with no miles.

Copied from GMC:
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) starting just under $32,800 for a base cargo van, while passenger-van models start just under $36,000. The basic chassis for a cutaway van will run about $31,000 before upfitting.
__________________
DeMac
----‐--------------------
Frederick Douglass:
"If there is no struggle, there is no progress."
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:02 AM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 8
The 2003 is $29000 23’ bus converted but doesnt have as many extras and the 2009 is a 26’ bus for 48,000 fully converted with bathroom lots of solar, roof deck etc
Nurselife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:10 AM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 8
And by difference meaning the savanna and the express like build of the bus is one better over the other.
Nurselife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:17 AM   #6
Bus Nut
 
oricha1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 932
Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurselife View Post
I have two buses Iím looking at a 2003 GMC savanna 3500 with 208mi 6.0 v8 gas for 29,000 some solar no bathroom, stove and small water tanks. The other is a 2009 Chevy express 3500 6.0 v8 gas with around 150,000 mi and good amount of solar plus bathroom and extras etc. for 48,000....both would come with maintenance records and have recently been inspected. Is there a difference between the gmc and Chevy? How hard would it be to get the cheaper one to conversion status of the other one? Thanks for any advice !
It seems that the pockets are needing to get deeper and deeper to have a skoolie these days.
__________________
the more i learn, the less I know what to buy . . .
oricha1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:19 AM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 8
I know it’s much cheaper to do it yourself but looking for something already done with what I want has been a challenge. The ones that are cheaper are gone right away.
Nurselife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,385
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Can you post some pics of the builds? There are some skoolies out there that are maybe worth that kind of money, and many that absolutely are not.
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 01:09 PM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 8
https://www.buslifeadventure.com/new...conversion,260

https://www.aaabussales.com/consignment.html

Here are the listings
Nurselife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:57 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,236
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Whoa those prices. That kinda cash will get you a hell of a class b.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:18 PM   #11
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 8
What would a fully converted mid sized skoolie be priced at? With good solar and interior options etc.? So that I know what to look for and what’s over priced.
Nurselife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:25 PM   #12
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,236
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurselife View Post
What would a fully converted mid sized skoolie be priced at? With good solar and interior options etc.? So that I know what to look for and whatís over priced.
that's going to be pretty subjective but usually van shorty conversions I've seen sell go for 10-15. 20 if its minty. But that's just my 2 cents.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:23 PM   #13
Bus Geek
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,385
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Well, I was expecting them to be crappy builds but they're both pretty well-done (obligatory "if you like that style" which I don't, really, sniff). The pricier one is worth more because of more solar and the mini-split, but not $20K more.

If I saw $20K for the first one and $25K for the second, I wouldn't be as gobsmacked by the prices for these.
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:45 PM   #14
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,143
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
The prices for "base" busses has skyrocketed in the past year or so, probably due to covid and pure unadulterated greed?

Not surprising that quality builds are selling for what many feel are astronomical prices. Considering the cost of the base bus and all materials, along with labor to install, (if not willing or able to do it ones self), it doesn't surprise me at these relatively high sale prices.

Now in a cash sale, there's no telling what the seller will actually take in lower offers before signing the title over to a prospective new owner.

Get used to it folks. The fully converted and ready to move into skoolie has risen in cost, and will likely stay that way for the foreseeable future. One must now pay for the convenience and lack of actual blood loss that comes from building one from scratch...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:56 PM   #15
Bus Nut
 
oricha1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 932
Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
The prices for "base" busses has skyrocketed in the past year or so, probably due to covid and pure unadulterated greed?

Not surprising that quality builds are selling for what many feel are astronomical prices. Considering the cost of the base bus and all materials, along with labor to install, (if not willing or able to do it ones self), it doesn't surprise me at these relatively high sale prices.

Now in a cash sale, there's no telling what the seller will actually take in lower offers before signing the title over to a prospective new owner.

Get used to it folks. The fully converted and ready to move into skoolie has risen in cost, and will likely stay that way for the foreseeable future. One must now pay for the convenience and lack of actual blood loss that comes from building one from scratch...
I'm wondering what is the cheap thing to do nowadays...
Go on vacation to countries with high covid-19 numbers???
__________________
the more i learn, the less I know what to buy . . .
oricha1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.