Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2020, 07:30 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: INTERNATIONAL
Engine: DT466
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
alot of it is just experience.. if you find a shop with some old timers then they will easily work on older mechanical engines.. the newer younger guys learn the modern stuff and how to troubleshoot with computers and electronics vs troubleshooting a diesel at the mechanical level.. ie setting injector timing, and bleeding lines at the pump, etc..

So befriend an old timer mechanic got it! Haha thank you!

CattyMoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:37 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1972
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: international
Engine: 345
PM the last eight of the vin and I'll see if it's in the system. I'm a International dealer mobile mechanic and work on buses for a living.
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:45 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
That IDI 7.3 is a great, if not super powerful, engine. We have that engine in two ambulance conversions. A few things to note...as someone above mentioned the 7.3L Powerstroke is super popular...so when you search for parts, make sure you're looking at the right one. The 1990-1993 (or so?) Ford or International 7.3L diesel, and not the 7.3L turbo Powerstroke. And...if you find it's hard to start in the morning/cold, but it starts right up when warm...check for bad glowplugs, a bad glowplug solenoid, or (since it's an old vehicle) corroded connections in that circuit which are reducing the current to the glowplugs. Some people will advise that you check voltage to the glowplugs at the connectors and that's helpful, but it's not definitive. As a wise friend told me, you can carry voltage through a hair but not current. So a partially broken wire or bad connection might deliver enough voltage, when not under the glowplug's load. But when loaded and drawing current, the voltage through that old circuit might drop. The good thing about these is they're all cheap to fix. There's also the possibility of a bad/weak low pressure oil pump causing hard starts, but that's also not a really pricey fix.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:04 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
There's also the possibility of a bad/weak low pressure oil pump causing hard starts, but that's also not a really pricey fix.
Wrong engine. Maybe on an engine with HEUI injectors that uses oil pressure for injecting fuel. But this engine doesn't do that and I've never seen an oil pump cause hard starts on an idi.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:22 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Wrong engine. Maybe on an engine with HEUI injectors that uses oil pressure for injecting fuel. But this engine doesn't do that and I've never seen an oil pump cause hard starts on an idi.

You're exactly right...I think I did what I cautioned the OP not to do...confuse the 7.3 IDI with the later one? Apologies! We have several vehicles and I've mixed up my experiences...I've slept since then.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote