Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2018, 08:32 AM   #21

Hello redbaron, PAPA KIRK here.also shooting from the hip from every single roof raise video that I have watched and that is about 13 of them I don't think I would cut Above the windows. If you were to go that way I think I would have professional do that it is a little more involved then you think. I would cut about 10 inches below the windows add 1 1/4 square steel up in the hat channel and down in the channel about 12 inches each way add new hat channel in between that weld it in and steel rivets top and bottom. Don't forget to put Jacks on front and back of bus on the frame before cutting of the top. Because when you cut the bus will flex.. I hope this helps you a little bit. I know it sounds like a lot but the people you love will also be in the bus with you. God bless and good luck. Let me know what you do thank you.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPA KIRK View Post
Hello redbaron, PAPA KIRK here.also shooting from the hip from every single roof raise video that I have watched and that is about 13 of them I don't think I would cut Above the windows. If you were to go that way I think I would have professional do that it is a little more involved then you think. I would cut about 10 inches below the windows add 1 1/4 square steel up in the hat channel and down in the channel about 12 inches each way add new hat channel in between that weld it in and steel rivets top and bottom. Don't forget to put Jacks on front and back of bus on the frame before cutting of the top. Because when you cut the bus will flex.. I hope this helps you a little bit. I know it sounds like a lot but the people you love will also be in the bus with you. God bless and good luck. Let me know what you do thank you.
My Ward didn't flex when we cut the roof off.

Roof raising is easy. Making it look good is the hard part!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:24 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPA KIRK View Post
If you cut 10' below the window line, do you not still have to remove another foot of the skin below it to access welding the new rib sections.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the body is held to the frame by clips.. the number of clips depends on the school system spec.. but its niot very many.. the body is designed to separate from the frame in an extreme crash.. so basically the body sits on rubber isolators and then clips with a bolt into a body rib clip the body onto the frame rail... the body is not directly bolted to the frame.. crawl under your bus and you can see how they are.. there is usually 6 or 8 clips on an average conventional school bus.. a 40 footer may have 10 or 12 total.. (5 or 6 per side)...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:03 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
My Ward didn't flex when we cut the roof off.

Roof raising is easy. Making it look good is the hard part!

the key in yours was habving the bus well levelled and secured prior to making any cuts.. the bus wasnt under any tension any direction.. you were on a nice concrete pad.. I dont remember anything "snapping" out of alignment when those cuts were made.

taking the care to secure and level the bus solidly before making a cut is key..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #26

Not sure pretty sure they are visible on the inside walls