Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2021, 03:56 PM   #1

Unhappy Cargo carrier on shuttle bus

Hi!

I have a 2007 e450 shuttle bus. It doesn't have a normal bumper like I've seen on other busses so there is nowhere to mount a cargo carrier. Has anyone had this problem or have any ideas? I guess I could extend the frame and try to mount something on that if there aren't any kits available.

ihasbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:29 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 2009
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: 3500
Engine: 6.6 Duramax
Cargo carrier

I installed a universal hitch I bought from pepboys on ebay for $80.00! Took a few hours to install. I then bought a cargo carrier to use on this hitch. It's been a space and life saver when traveling, keeps the bus clean, especially if I'm hauling firewood for the campout! Will try and post image
Attached Thumbnails
skoolie basket.jpg  
Hiyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:40 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 2009
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: 3500
Engine: 6.6 Duramax
Cargo Carrier tow hitch installation

Here are some photos of the hitch, riser. My bus had two large hooks attached at the rear for loading or towing purposes. There are four large metal plates bridging the two frames sides for strength, I mean heavy plates! Right angle plates were installed to accomodate the two hooks. I could not use the holes, but the right angle plates were perfect for my tow bar attachment. I had to drill about eight holes to make this hitch work. !/4" steel everywhere. The hitch is rated 5000 lb towing 500 lb tongue weight.
Attached Thumbnails
hitcha.jpg   hitchb.jpg   hitchc.jpg   hitchd.jpg  
Hiyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:52 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Nice work! And you can't beat that price. I've got to look into one of these myself, although my back end is sufficiently rusted that I'm not sure I wouldn't pull the back part of my bus off if I ever tried to tow something.

FYI, welcome to the forum! If you click on User CP in the upper left, you can fill out your profile details and then people will always know what sort of bus you have and where you're located (if you feel like sharing that).