Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Carpenter Roof Welds

Someone over at School Bus Fleet posted this link. It has NHTSA info on the Carpenter roof weld issue, including which buses were affected, how to tell if the welds are defective, and ways to repair them.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/ ... /index.htm

Old 01-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3
Re: Carpenter Roof Welds

Nice to know I have one of these critters... Looks like I have got some welding to do!!!

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Anyone looking to raise the roof on their conversion, buy one of those Mitchell Carpenters. Half the work is already done.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
Bus Nut

I raised the roof on my Carpenter bus, I didn't find any cracked welds. Even if I had they would have been no big deal. V them out and reweld them or run a deep bead over the top or just ignore them altogether would likely not hurt a darn thing. (IMHO) Those weld guidelines are nothing for guys like us to worry about, they are just Fed regulations like half of OSHA's bullshitte. I see them as falling into the same category of half the welds we had to inspect according to Fed guidlines when I was welding for the railroad. Very rarely would they be something that a private owner would need to worry about, if ever.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

This is the bus in question.

No personal knowledge, but if I had a Carpenter, I think I would want to inspect those welds.

(There were no kids on board. The driver was injured but survived.)

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
Bus Nut

The chances of that happening to a Skoolie owner (IMHO) are slim to none. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott
The chances of that happening to a Skoolie owner (IMHO) are slim to none. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Likely the entire event was just a school liability thing, not saying it should be totally ignored, but I wouldn't (and didn't) turn-down a fair deal on a bus because of it.

Smitty
That's what I was thinking as well. It's easy for the Feds. or another body to order inspections for this and that based on a very low percentage of indecent just as a CYA. We used to get some ridiculous inspection orders from OSHA and the Federal Railroad Administration along the same line. Very, very often it was much to do about nothing. I also agree with Elliot that looking at them can't hurt a thing but even if you spot a few cracked welds it's nothing to worry much about. A few small cracks means absolutely nothing as far as the overall roof integrity goes. I can understand the Feds wanting school children in buses to have that absolute best ride they can put them in and its easy for them to order inspections for just about anything. But as far as a camper goes we are much more safe in even a convertible bus (smile) then a factory built motor home.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

No question about it -- stick-and-staple motor homes are much scarier!

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 05:08 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: DT466NGD
If you flip your Skoolie your Refrigerator and other things in your build may be more likely to take you out in in any bus. I've also got a problem with open shelving ! You will survive most low speed accidents but a Jar of Pickels to the back of the head at 30MPH well that may not go so well. I know you only keep your Beenie Babys up there..
Vapor Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote