Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 05:20 PM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
If you have not read Sojuorner's build thread I HIGHLY recommend it.

I know that I will be following a number of examples from his build. I only wish that I was half the craftsman that he is......

If I wind up using the standard round 55 gallon barrels, instead of the square ones mentioned in this thread, I will certainly be duplicating his mounting method.
Wow!! I really don't know what to say but thanks for the recommendation.
We're (like everyone else here) just trying to do the best we can with what we have to work with.

I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 01-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #82
Bus Nut

sojourner, thanks for your response to my questions. I'll check out your build thread. I had not yet ran across it.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #83
Bus Nut

By the way, those straps are standard mobile home strapping with tensile strength, if memory serves me, over 4000 lbs. I used the mobile home strap adjusters removed from ground anchors to pull them down. By using this method I can replace things on the road from any mobile home supply.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 01-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #84
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Do you undo the bottom straps to remove the tanks by lowering them out of the frames?
Old 01-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #85
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
By the way, those straps are standard mobile home strapping with tensile strength, if memory serves me, over 4000 lbs. I used the mobile home strap adjusters removed from ground anchors to pull them down. By using this method I can replace things on the road from any mobile home supply.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #86
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Do you undo the bottom straps to remove the tanks by lowering them out of the frames?
No. The drums rest on the frames and are loaded from the top. Unless something hits them, they should never have to be removed. If I were to remove them I'd simply unbolt the brackets from the chassis frame rail and drop the whole thing down. The straps are there simply to secure the tank to the frame and keep it from bouncing around.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #87
Bus Geek

Quote:
No. The drums rest on the frames and are loaded from the top. Unless something hits them, they should never have to be removed. If I were to remove them I'd simply unbolt the brackets from the chassis frame rail and drop the whole thing down. The straps are there simply to secure the tank to the frame and keep it from bouncing around.
So you have to mount the tanks in the frame work and then attach the framework to the chassis?
Old 01-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #88
Bus Nut

Quote:
So you have to mount the tanks in the frame work and then attach the framework to the chassis?
It's a kinda a combo operation:
Hang the frame loosely tipped out.
Set the tank in place.
Bolt the frame tight to the frame rail.
Secure the tank in with straps.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:34 PM   #89
Bus Geek

Quote:
It's a kinda a combo operation:
Hang the frame loosely tipped out.
Set the tank in place.
Bolt the frame tight to the frame rail.
Secure the tank in with straps.
Cool, I can see the need to get them as high as possible under there and don't see much need to remove them often. I'll probably do something similar. I think when my money comes the first thing I need to do is buy a decent welder and sharpen my skills. Hate to have to pay someone else to do all the welding needed.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #90
Bus Nut

Quote:
Cool, I can see the need to get them as high as possible under there and don't see much need to remove them often. I'll probably do something similar. I think when my money comes the first thing I need to do is buy a decent welder and sharpen my skills. Hate to have to pay someone else to do all the welding needed.
Welding skills are very helpful doing the skoolie thing. As is electrical, cabinet making, plumbing, etc... My career was a yacht technician. A natural fit for doing a skoolie as I had fitted out several boats in my day from the prop nut to the anchor chain roller. I even designed a center console once that raised and lowered to hide the electronics while not in use.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #91
Bus Geek

Quote:
Welding skills are very helpful doing the skoolie thing. As is electrical, cabinet making, plumbing, etc... My career was a yacht technician. A natural fit for doing a skoolie as I had fitted out several boats in my day from the prop nut to the anchor chain roller. I even designed a center console once that raised and lowered to hide the electronics while not in use.
I have a background in residential construction, so 90% of what experience I need I have. I have done some welding, but would not, at this stage , call myself a welder. I'm sure 2 hours of practice and I'll be fine. The one advantage I'll miss not being in Ocala at the trailer fab shop where I could payday welder $12/hr. to do all I needed. One advantage over the many disadvantages I found in Ocala, namely no one is spending any money there.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:34 PM   #92
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
You have managed to resurrect a FOUR YEAR OLD THREAD
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 02-09-2022, 12:58 AM   #93
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
You have managed to resurrect a FOUR YEAR OLD THREAD
With spam, yes. Closing it now. Please report these spam accounts when they pop up, so we can ban them and their friends!
Closed Thread